1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lakshman Jhula

Discussion in 'North India' started by Alex, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

I will be India in the month of June and will be visiting Haridwar and the surrounding areas like Dehradun, Rishikesh, etc.
    I have been looking into places to visit in Rishikesh and have come across something called Lakshman Jhula and found out that it is just a bridge, but what exactly is so fascinating about this bridge that it is so popular?

Is the bridge safe to walk on, as I hear it swings a lot, and they allow motorbikes to go on the bridge as well?

Is it worth for a photographer to go on the bridge and get some good shots?

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

The notable aspect of the Lakshman Jhula is that it is a hanging bridge which is 450 feet long and at a height of 70 feet from the Ganga river. It is also the same place where Lord Ram's younger brother Lakshman crossed the river. Hence, the bridge has been named Lakshman Jhula.

The bridge is safe to walk on, and yes they do allow motorbikes to go on the bridge, and it does make the bridge move and swing a lot, so you do need to be careful.

You can get some excellent views from the bridge, so yes it is worth for a photographer to go on the bridge, but I would say that you are bound to get better photo shots when viewing the bridge from a distance or just as you are about to approach the bridge.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Architecturally, the bridge is quite interesting to see and cross. It makes for great photos. But it is only interesting historically if you are following the Ramayana. There are countless site you can visit, and it is even possible to travel India tracing the Ramayama. This makes visiting such sites as a simple bridge more important, as you see them in a historical context.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Alex! Welcome to the forum!

The Lakshman Jhula is an iron suspension bridge located in the town of Muni Ki Reti in Tehri Garhwal. It is about 14 kms away from Rishikesh. The bridge was built in 1939 and measures over 450 feet in length and 70 feet in height. The bridge is over the Ganges River, connecting the different markets and temples around the town as well as the Tehri and Pauri districts.

According to mythological references, the place where the bridge is located is where Lakshman, Lord Rama's brother, crossed the Ganges on a jute rope. To honour this feat, a a 284 feet long hanging rope bridge was built at the same place and named Lakshman.

This rope bridge was built by Rai Bahadur Surajmal Jhunjhunwala, the father of Rai Bahadur Shewpershad Tulshan. In fact, until the year 1924, there was only a bridge made of jute rope in this area. But unfortunately, it was washed away by a flood in the same year.

So, as a replacement for the jute bridge, an iron bridge was built in place. It took a few years before it was completed. And finally, during the year 1939, the iron bridge was reopened to the public. It has retained its name as the Lakshman Jhula as well.

It's important to note that the bridge doesn't have any supporting pillars below it as it is a hanging bridge. But despite this, it can still support the crowds of people going through it.

Perhaps it's the mythological story about it or maybe the amazing views of the Ganges from above that makes the Lakshman Jhula so fascinating and popular. Maybe it's a mixture of both even. But for whatever reason that a person visits the bridge, one thing is for sure, crossing it will be etched in your mind forever.

The bridge is safe to walk on. It does swing a lot due to the presence of the people walking through it, along with other animals like cows and monkeys even. And yes, two-wheelers are the only vehicles that are allowed on the bridge.

It's a great place for photographers. However, I'd advice against visiting it during the weekends or holidays as during these times it can get very crowded. If you can make it into your schedule, visit the bridge during weekdays so you can explore the area and take pictures as much as you'd like. Also, go during the sunrise as the views can be amazing from the bridge.

I hope this helps.

:)