1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning To Cook (in English!)

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Cookie, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Cookie

Cookie Member

I was reading another thread on here about cookery classes and while I know I could never recreate an authentic taste experience, I'd love to be able to cook Indian food properly. At the minute I always resort to a jar of sauce with meat and rice (which is never as good as the rice at our local)! Does anyone know if these sort of classes are taught in English? I'm hopeless at languages!

2. Mindy

Mindy Member

I am sure you could find some Indian recipes online that are written in English. If you know the name of the dish you would like to prepare, you should try to Google it.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've done cooking classes before on international vacations where English hasn't been the primary language, but have still managed to find classes with English instruction. If you Google something like New Delhi English Cooking Class (or whatever city/town you plan on visiting) then I'm sure you'll find some fabulous results. That's usually how I've approached my searches on other trips!

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

If you want something really authentic you will have to go with authentic chefs, ingredients and prep methods. This is not so easy to achieve, not to mention you will need years of practice or working in an Indian restaurant. I have been working in a hotel for two years. I was in all 7 different restaurants but in Indian I was only helping for couple of days because they always need someone with experience. The name of the restaurant was Sa Re Ga Ma. If someone could explain this name to me it would be so nice.

5. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

If you want to learn authentic Indian food, you can easily find resources and guides online. I've traveled to India a couple of times, so in the last month I've been working on an authentic Indian delicate butter chicken recipe. It's coming pretty good.

6. Mindy

Mindy Member

I am going to have to find a butter chicken tutorial! I've been hearing so much about it lately, I absolutely have to try it.

7. Cookie

Cookie Member

Thanks so much guys - I wasn't sure if it was a stupid question, as I don't even know where to find cooking classes here in my own country, let alone whether tourists could go on them in another country! (PS Butter chicken sounds a-ma-zing!)

8. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, the internet is a great resource for all the authentic recipes you could ever want. I love looking for personal blogs which deal with various cuisines. They generally have a lot of advice which most recipe sites forget to include. The big issue is the lack of availability for certain products. For instance, a recipe might ask for ghee, and although you could find something similar, it won't be the same. You will probably have to compromise a little unless you find a food store that specializes in Indian foods.