1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longest Train Route In India

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Wanderlust, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Any idea what is the longest train route in India in terms of distance covered? I mean, the whole journey must be completed by a single train (from the source to the destination) and there should not be any change of trains involved.

My longest ever train journey was the one from Guwahati to Jammu Tawi by Amarnath Express (Train Number 15653). The total distance covered was 2400+ kilometers and the duration of the journey was close to 50 hours. It was a great experience and we had lots of fun. Since then I have been a fan of long distance train journeys.

By the way, what's the longest train journey (without any breaks) you have done in your life-time?

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

That's an interesting thread and it reminds me of the long distance train travels during my graduation years.

The longest train route in India connected by a single train is from Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari. Vivek Express (Train No 15905/15906) is the weekly train that connects the North-East corner of the country to its Southern-most tip. The distance between Dibrugarh (Assam) and Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu) is 4273 KM and the train passes through as many as 8 Indian states in Assam, West Bengal, Bihar, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Telengana, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It takes around 82 hours to complete this longest train journey in India.

Here's a look at the top 5 longest train routes in India -

TrainSourceDestinationNo of StopsDistanceDuration
    Vivek Express (Train No 15905/15906)Dibrugarh (Assam)Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu)564273 KM82 Hours
    Himsagar Express (Train No 16317/16318)Vaishno Devi (Jammu & Kashmir)Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu)733787 KM72 Hours
    Navyug Express (Train No 16687/16688)Mangalore (KarnatakaJammu (Jammu & Kashmir)613685 KM68 Hours
    Tirunelveli-Jammu Express (Train No 16787/16788)Tirunelveli (Tamil Nadu)Jammu (Jammu & Kashmir)703630 KM70 Hours
    Dibrugarh-Yeswantpur Express (Train No 15901/15902)Dibrugarh (Assam)Yeswantpur (Karnataka)333547 KM68 Hours
    The longest ever train journey I did was from Guwahati to Bangalore. In-fact, I used to board this train (Guwahati-Bangalore Express / Train No 12509/12510) four times every year (onward and return journey) during my graduation years between 2002 to 2006. It takes around 55 hours to cover the distance of 2993 KM between Guwahati and Bangalore.

Regards,
    Deb

Wanderlust likes this.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I was on a train in Myanmar which broke down for two days. We had to stay on the train, and food was brought to us from the closest village. The staff cooked a pig in a big potluck just to the side of the tracks. It was a fun, and the longest train trip I have endured. I don't think you would count mechanical breakdowns, though. Going by start and destination, I would think anything that goes to some remote location like Jammu would be a good candidate.

4. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

the longest train journey i made was from delhi-trivendrum took over 2 days.. and the route is like a paradise.

5. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

I am sure that the condition of the rest-rooms at the end of the jorney was anything but paradise-esque ;)

6. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I've never been on a train journey before. Here in the Philippines jeepneys, and buses are what I normally ride on my way to my destination. It would be fun to be on a very long journey by train as long as it has proper ventilation. Riding in a cabin like what I see in the movies looks like fun especially if their are a few of you in a group. You'd not need to worry about other people and vice versa because you'd just have the place to yourselves.

7. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Np.... the journey was itself paradise and was no need of rest rooms. rather was waiting for the return journey.. it was a rajdhani..i just used to wake up get fresh and then ate the breakfast,lucnh etc.. then looked at the beauty of the arabian sea..the hills, small town etc..

i have no words to describe how great the train journy was.. it was probably the best train journey i ever had..thanks to the railways for implementing such an epic route...

Admin likes this.
  8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting thread! I researched about it and apparently...

The Vivek Express has the longest train route in India. It starts in Dibrugarh and ends in Kanyakumari. There are 55 scheduled stops and the whole train route takes 80 hours and 15 minutes to complete (without delays). It actually passes through eight states of the country. It ranks 9th in the world in the longest train routes that exists.

The second longest train route in India is the Himsagar Express which covers Jammu Tawi to Kanyakumari. This one stops at 67 stations and runs for about 70 hours. It passes through 12 states in the country as well. It has a total distance of 3,709 kms.

Then, we have the Ten Jammu Express, which covers Tirunelveli to Jammu. It has 62 scheduled stops and runs for about 70 hours. It goes through 11 states in India.

Another one is the Guwahati Express which covers Thiruvananthapuram to Guwahati. The scheduled stops of this train is about 48 stations and it runs for 65 hours. It travels through seven states in India.

I've tried the Kerala Sampark Kranti Express although it isn't even close to the distances covered by these trains. The Kerala Sampark Kranti Express has a running time of about 53 hours. That's the longest train route I've ever taken.

9. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

I took a beautiful train ride in Canada once, through the Rocky Mountains. It was unbelievably expensive, but the views were breathtaking and the accommodations were very luxurious. It took about two days. I cannot imagine a train ride of 80+ hours through India! The heat alone would make things very uncomfortable. Not to mention that the train is a commuter tool in India, and not a mode of luxury travel. But for the sheer adventure, I would definitely try it when I finally get the chance to travel in India!