1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lotus Temple Delhi timings

Discussion in 'North India' started by Rishita, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Rishita

Rishita New Member

I have visited a few websites to try and find out the timings for the Lotus Temple in Delhi, but they all show different information.

I have joined this travel forum, as I would get some correct replies and that too from users (real people thoughts) and hopefully get the accurate information about the Lotus Temple Delhi timings. If it is closed any day of the week please also mention.

2. djtravels

djtravels Member

The Lotus temple is remains closed on Mondays. The timings are 9am to 5:00-5:30 pm. They do seem to change the timings because during the summers the sun sets later (i.e. after 7 pm), so the timings at that time are 9am-7pm.

Also, its best to visit the place at around 4 pm

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Rishita! Welcome to the forum!

The Lotus Temple in Delhi is shaped just like its name and is one of the best landmarks in the city. Its pure white facade combined with the well-manicured gardens and surrounding pools is quite a beautiful sight. In fact, the Lotus Temple is one of the most visited attractions in the city, with thousands of visitors daily and millions of visitors annually. Because the temple is open for everyone, regardless of religion or race, most tourists include the Lotus Temple when visiting Delhi.

More than the beauty of the lotus, it symbolises the unity of all faiths, no matter what type it is. Thus, it has been deemed as the appropriate design for the Bahai House of Worship. It took over 10 years before the construction for the temple was completed. Although a fairly new temple, built around the end of the 19th century, it has emerged as one of the best attractions in Delhi. You won't find any deities present inside the temple but there is a prayer/meditation hall in which people of different religions can stay and recite their prayers.

The temple was made using different sized marbles. The main temple design has two layers: the first layer conceals the petal paths which lead to the second layer of petals which point to the skies. The surrounding pools symbolise the supposed leaves of the lotus flower. The inside of the temple is very simple with wooden pews and high ceilings. Outside, the surrounding gardens add some serenity and greenery to the temple. It's not uncommon to see families strolling amidst the gardens which are also quite exquisite.

During night time, the Lotus Temple is illuminated and brings some light to the dark surroundings. The pathway to reach it is lit as well with green lights whereas the temple is a shady yellow. The pools surrounding the lotus petals reflect the light as well. A visit to the temple, even from the outside, at night time, is definitely recommended.

Here are the temple timings:
    • Tuesdays to Sundays (Winter) - 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
    • Tuesdays to Sundays (Summer) - 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
    The temple is closed during Mondays but does remain open on public holidays. There is no entry fee to enter the temple and anyone from any religion can access it. Then, here are the prayer session timings in the temple:
    • Everyday except Mondays - 10:00 to 10:15, 12:00 to 12:15, 15:00 to 15:15 and 17:00 to 17:15.
    During the prayer sessions, different prayers from different religions are recited in the temple. Definitely a must experience as well when visiting the temple.

There you go, I hope this helps you!:)

4. vkar

vkar Member

You are seeing different timings in different websites probably because they have different timings depending on the season of the year. During winter the timings are 9AM to 5.30 PM and during summer the timings are 9AM to 7 PM. It's closed on Mondays (both winter & summer). I am not sure about the prayer timings though.