1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage registration in india for foreigners

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by BabitaShah, Jun 18, 2016.

1. BabitaShah

BabitaShah New Member

I along with my husband have recently moved to India, and we are both US citizens.
    Last week we got married in India and now wanted to know regarding the marriage registration process. I have seen marriage registration gong through with one out of the two partners being an Indian citizen, but how does it work with both being foreigners?

Please explain the procedure for marriage registration in India for foreigners.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's the steps you have to take to register your marriage in India:

• Obtain a certificate from the police station stating that you have been living in India for at least 30 days.
    • You would need to submit the following to the registry office: intention to get married, residence certificate, certified copies of passports, birth certificates and two passport sized photographs for both of you.
    • If you have both been single before the marriage, you would need to acquire: single status affidavit (US), no impediment certificate (UK) and certificate of no record (Australian).
    • If any of you are divorced or widowed, then obtain a decree absolute or death certificate.
    • You'd have to wait for 3o days and if there was no objection, then your application can be processed.
    • You would need three witnesses along with their ID, proof of address and passport sized photographs.
    • Wait until the marriage registry releases your certificate.
    I hope this helps!