1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mawlynnong

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Alexandoy, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I have seen this in another forum and I seemed to have been mesmerized. As per the post, Mawlynnong is named Asia's cleanest village. That means all the inhabitants there are very disciplined when it comes to littering and trash. What's interesting is they speak good English and the literacy rate is 100% which means they are all schooled. It's like seeing a fantasy land with perfection huh. Mawlynnong village is in Cherrapunji.

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Strange that being an Indian I did not come across this information. Dug a bit more and saw how they achieved it. I do most of it in my property specially producing compost from wet garbage and harvesting rainwater. I also use sold waste as filler material for light foundations such as garden benches. I must stop using my incinerator though as that is not allowed there. The Government there is very strict and last but not the least it is a matriarchal society in that the property is in the name of the woman and the mother transfers it to the youngest daughter who also keeps the mother's surname!!!