1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mumbai to Gujarat Trip

Discussion in 'Gujarat' started by AnandVyas, Jul 9, 2015.

1. AnandVyas

AnandVyas New Member

I would like to make a road trip from Mumbai to Gujarat during the months of October and November. There are specific places I want to cover in Gujarat which are Rann of Kutch,Dwarka, Patan, Soamnath, Modhera and Gir.

The trip will be for 8 days, will this be enough for the places I want to cover?

Some kind of help with planning with the trip would be most helpful.

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

8 days are too less for the trip, as you should include at least 2 days for traveling to Gujarat and traveling from Gujarat, and since the journey is long you need some rest as well. If it is only 8 days you have you should cut out some places, but if you want to see all the places extend the number of days.

3. kootlefoosh

kootlefoosh New Member

Whilst you are in Gujarat, there is something that I am curious about that you will have to report back to me. I have read online that they are making the world's tallest statue of Vallabhbhai Patel in Gujarat. I want you to tell me if it is actually under construction or if it is still on the blueprints, as I have been unable to find any answer online. Thank you!

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think eight days would be enough for this trip although it can be too rushed. If you can extend your stay for at least two days more, then you can thoroughly enjoy your trip from Mumbai to Gujarat. Here's a possible itinerary for you:

Day 1 - Travel from Mumbai to Ahmedabad. If you take the train, the distance is about 441 kms and you can reach the latter in 6 to 7 hours. If you travel via road or car, then it's about 530 kms and can take anywhere between 8 to 9 hours. Leave early so you can arrive by mid-afternoon or late afternoon. Once you arrive in Ahmedabad, check in at the hotel. Then, consider visiting the following places:

• Gandhi Ashram. Considered the Mahatma Gandhi Headquarters.
    • Akshardham Temple. This houses the 7-ft. gold idol of Lord Swaminarayan.
    Rest for the night.

Day 2 - Ahmedabad to Rajkot which is about 250 kms. Check in at the hotel. Visit the following places:

• Kaba Gandhi No Delo. This is where Mahatma Gandhi spent most of his early life.
    • Rajkumar College. This is where Mahatma Gandhi finished his secondary school.
    Rest for the night. I had to include this because it is en route to Dwarka anyway.

Day 3 - Rajkot to Dwarka which is about 250 kms. On arrival, check in at the hotel. Then, visit the following:

• Dwarkadhish Temple. One of the most famous temples in Gujarat.
    • Rukmani Temple. Temple for the wife of Lord Krishna.
    Day 4 - Dwarka to Rann of Kutch which is about 230 kms. Visit:
    • Wild Ass Sanctuary. Home to the endangered wild ass sub-species Indian Wild Ass or Khur.
    • Great Rann of Kutch. Seasonal salt marsh in the Thar Desert.
    Rest for the night.

Day 5 - Rann of Kutch to Somnath which is about 350 kms. Visit the Somnath Temple in Somnath.
    Rest for the night.

Day 6 - Somnath to Sasan Gir which is about 40 kms. Visit:

• Nalsarovar Lake. Great place for picnic.
    • Uperkot Fort. Built by Mauryan Emperor Chandragupta.
    • Kamleshwar Dam. Located on the Hiran River.
    Rest for the night.

Day 7 - Visit the Gir National Park in Sasan Gir. This is closed though during June to October so consider just scheduling your trip in November.

Rest for the night.

Day 8 - Sasan Gir to Diu (130 kms). Visit the following:

• St. Paul's Church.
    • St. Thomas Church Museum.
    • Diu Fort. Built by the Portuguese during their reign in the island.
    • Nagoa Beach. Lots of water sports to do here.
    Rest for the night.

Day 9 - Travel to Ahmedabad then to Modhera (110 kms). Then from Modhera to Patan (40 kms).

Visit the following:

• The Sun Temple of Modhera. Dedicated to the Sun god, Surya.
    • Visit the Jain Temples in Patan.
    Rest for the night.

Day 10 - Travel back to Mumbai.

I hope this helps!

P.S.

Consider moving your trip in November as like I said, the Gir National Park is closed during October.

Admin likes this.
  5. Rako

Rako Guest

Those six places I am sure you will be able to cover in six days, spending a day in each place. However the question for you really becomes how long you want to stay in each place. Because maybe in Dwarka you will really get into the sites and want to stay longer.