1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naan

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by jnorth88, Mar 18, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I love to bake. Bread is one of my favorites, and I really enjoy the simple flavor of naan. This traditional Indian flatbread is very basic, but no two bakers make it the same way. As common as they are, they are all different. I am wondering what sort of tips and tricks are used to make them extra delicious?

2. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

To make good food, recipes don't work their need to be a magic in the hands of the person. the only thing that I know would make naan better is to keep the dough undisturbed for 3-4 hours...

3. Geena

Geena New Member

My dear aunt was quite a pro at making naan and she used to say that the most special ingredient for naan is ghee. Ghee is kind of like butter but it's much softer like margarine. She used to say that any flour could be used to make a naan but only ghee could make an amazing naan.

Can this be found in your location?

4. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

It'd probably work out best for you if you found someone who makes it on a regular basis who also is willing to teach you. Yes, it will be different for every person, but learning from someone who really enjoys to make it will help a lot.

5. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

In England there is a vast array of different types of Naan available, catering to many different tastes. Its also true that no two naans seem to be the same when you're eating in restaurants. I have attempted to make it myself but I'm afraid I'm not much of a baker and it did not go well. The best naan bread is obviously what you can get in India itself, Mumbai is where I found the best overall, thanks to an excellent local who kindly showed me where to find the best example in the city.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Oh, I know full well what ghee is and it is great to cook with. I can get it when I am in the US, but not when I am in South America. I prefer to use it in my curries, as it is so much better than the regular oils, butter or shortening. I will try it with the naan next chance I have.

7. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I never tried Naan. I understand it is made with yoghurt. Is there any chance someone leave a recipe for it here. I know there are a lot of recipes online but I was thinking more of an original, genuine recipe form an Indian person who makes this bread regularly like we in Serbia make pogača for example. A type of bread, by the way. I always preferred to acquire recipes from different cuisines like this than just randomly typing in google.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

The naan was certainly one of the great parts of visiting India. It is one of those things that is so simple, and you enjoy it while it is there, and then you really realize how great it was the second that it is not there any more. A little naan with some olive oil is a simple delight and it is great how consistently available it is when you travel to India.

9. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

As a big fan of bread, I know how important but understated it is in cuisine. Almost every meal is better with bread, and just like with wine, has some great pairings. Eating a lot of Indian foods goes well with naan, because you eat them together. It is napkin, plate and utensil. The same is found throughout the middle east, and is such a great thing to experience. I am really looking forward to trying these tips.

10. tabby

tabby Member

I've never been to India, but every time I visit a local restaurant in my town called Spice Fusion, I always order naan. I like it so much! The dips that come with naan are truly a delight too. I wish I can whip up something like that on my own, but am not a kitchen person. Baking isn't something I've a knack for. Anyway, you're very right about no two naan are the same because there are two branches of Spice Fusion in my town, but the taste of the naan is different in one branch compared to the other.
    Oh, I like the idea posted by one here about posting a recipe from an Indian person. It definitely be an authentic one, especially if its coupled with a few tips and tricks.