Offbeat Beaches in South India - My Pick of Fab-3

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Debapriya Deb, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Right from my adolescence, I had developed an uncanny bondage with sea. Relentless waves attract me more than anything else. I have been to many beach destinations to quench my thirst, but my enduring crave for sea remain as vehement as it used to be.

Secluded beaches, far off from the hustle and bustle of tourist activities, complement my Bohemian nature perfectly. Instead of indulging in water-sports activities at the lavish beach resorts, I prefer the solitude of a remote villege beach to rejuvinate myself. And I am pretty sure that I am not the only idiosyncratic soul out there.

If you are on the lookout for a leisurely trip along the South Indian coast, then here are three excellent offbeat destinations for you to choose from.

My Favorite Offbeat Beach Destinations in South India:

1. Kurumgad Beach:

State
    - Karnataka
    Nearest Town - Karwar (8 KM)
    Best Time to Visit - September to March is the best time to visit Kurumgad island. Avoid stormy monsoon days as the sea becomes wild during that time of the year.

A secluded retreat with untouched natural splendour, Kurumgad beach is actually an island located at a distance of 4 KM into the Arabian Sea off Karwar coast. Sorrounded by blue waters all around, this place can only be accessed by taking a half-an-hour's boat ride. Boats to the island depart from Sadhashivgad jetty, which itself is a scenic place on the backwaters of the river Kali.

With its pristine serenity and tranquil atmosphere, Kurumgad is the perfect destination to rejuvenate your soul amidst a picturesque backdrop surrounded by unspoilt greenery.

2. Muttom Beach:

State
    - Tamilnadu
    Nearest Town - Nagercoil (16 KM), Kanyakumari (32 KM)
    Best Time to Visit - Can be visited throughout the year, but avoid hot summer days in June-July if you are afraid of extreme humidity.

Muttom beach is no less than a hidden treasure located so close to one of the busiest beach destinations in India, Kanyakumari. It is highly surprising that Muttom attracts no more than 2% of all the tourists that throng the main beach in Kanyakumari - which is just 32 KM away. Thanks to the remaining 98%, who are oblivious of the fact that such a beautiful beach even exists at a stone throwing distance!

A golden sandy beach with huge rocks standing by either sides, on the backdrop of clear blue water with a tinge of green, Muttom has an unique appeal of its own. The magical sunset at Muttom beach is a treat to the photographers. Capturing the panoramic view of the Muttom coast during sunset is an experience to be cherished forever.

3. Pallikere Beach

State
    - Kerala
    Nearest Town - Kasargod (16 KM)
    Best Time to Visit - The greenary is at its best during monsoon. If you love rainy days, then that's the best chance to catch the real beauty of Pallikere beach.

The swaying palm trees, the glittery sand and miles and miles of tranquility, Pallikere beach is no less than a paradise for nature lovers. This enchanting beach offers a spectacular view of the historical Bekal fort. It exudes serenity and offers an isolated place for those who want to escape from the hectic city life.

Pallikere is known for its pristine beauty and quaint charm. Bekal fort is around 2 KM from this beach, which draws majority of the tourists - thus leaving Pallikere beach remain quiet and tranquil. It's an ideal place to take a dip in the cascading waves and get pampered by the nature's abundant beauty.

If you have been to a beautiful sea beach that deserves a mention here, then kindly share your experiences. I would love to hear your definition of the perfect beach trip.

Regards,
    Deb

Chahal and Amit.Ayer like this.

2. Amit.Ayer

Amit.Ayer New Member

Love this information on the south of India beaches, very surprised to see the Muttom beach picture, it looks like a scene from outside of India. Is there anything else in that particular area to see as well apart from the beach.
    Hope I will be able to visit this place one day.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

3. Arpit

Arpit New Member

Beaches look simply wow, which state do you recommend for the best beaches, Karnataka or Tamil Nadu?

4. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

That actually depends on your likes and dislikes. Beaches in Tamilnadu are fundamentally different from those in Karnataka in the sense that most of the TN beach destinations are also of religious significance. While in Karnataka, tourism is the first priority, religious sentiment, if any, comes next in line. Also, from my experience, TN beaches are an extreme test of heat and humidity. Karnataka beaches are relatively more lenient.

Suggestions from my end are mentioned below.

Best Beaches in TN - Muttom Beach at Kanyakumari, Paradise Beach at Pondy, Pichavaram Beach at Cuddalore.
    Best Beaches in KA - Kurumgad Beach at Karwar, Belekeri Beach at Ankola, Uppunda & Ottinene Beach at Byndoor.

Not to forget the beaches in Kerala - a great choice if you are looking to indulge yourself in some water sports activities.

Regards,
    Deb