1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pepper Spray

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Delilah, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Delilah

Delilah New Member

Is pepper spray legal in India? We will be a group of girls and I think there is nothing wrong with being a little extra safe.

2. Laeticia

Laeticia New Member

I don't really think that you will get into a situation where you will actually need to use pepper spray, but if you really feel that you need it, I think it's not illegal as far as I know.

3. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Has anyone really been in a situation where they needed to use pepper spray in India? It sounds a little extreme to me to be honest.

4. Neve

Neve New Member

If you are planning to go to Delhi, then I definitely agree with carrying a pepper spray. I have heard so many horrible stories involving girls there.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I actually just looked this up online to check. It is actually legal in India from everything I have found online. That's useful for me to know, as at this stage I'm going to be traveling solo. I doubt that I will have to use it, but it's one of those things that will help me to feel a bit more safe and confident.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

As a protection measure, many people suggest that a lone girl should always carry pepper spray. Use of pepper spray is protected by Indian Penal Code. In the past few years, there has been many extreme cases of violence against women. In one group rape case, one of the rapers was minor. This I think it is good to be cautious.

7. Salman

Salman New Member

Pepper sprays are widely available in India and is also very easy to carry. A lady can conveniently put one into her handbag and feel confident that she has a weapon. There have been many cases of violence against women and it is better to carry a spray with you at all times.

8. Arianne

Arianne Member

If you are going as a group of girls, make sure you are not walking around on your own and always stay as a group. I'd carry the pepper spray around for safety reasons but it's not always easy to get it out of your purse quickly.

9. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Well u can use it there is no problem in taking pepper spray with you.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Be careful because there is a difference between mace and pepper spray. Generally, pepper spray is legal, but not necessarily so. Mace is often illegal, because it can cause reactions with certain people. Of course, pepper spray is pretty ineffectual, especially if you are not trained or ready to use it. Most people would benefit by not getting into certain situation in the first place. A big thing to understand is that there is a perception of American sexuality in the entire world which is not exactly true. Americans are quite open, forward, but not necessarily promiscuous. A lot of the body language we use without inferring much would be interpreted as an open invitation in most foreign cultures. If that can be avoided, by understanding cultural differences, it is better than relying on pepper spray which may or may not work.