1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone SIM card in Delhi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by PhilT, Dec 26, 2014.

1. PhilT

PhilT New Member

Hi

As a foreigner can I subscribe for a cell phone service in New Delhi, India? If I bring my Samsung phone, then can I use an Indian SIM card in same phone or do I need to buy any other special SIM card from my home country?

I know that Vodafone is there in India too, and that’s my service provider here in my home country too, is it of any help?

This is my first trip abroad so please forgive me if my question is stupid enough.

Thanks

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

You can buy a local Indian sim card when you get to India. You would need a copy of your passport and hotel booking for that. It is more simpler if you buy a sim card at the airport itself as there is a kiosk at most international airports that sell sim cards.

If you plan on using VOIP using 3G then avoid Airtel as they have started charging stupid rates for data used in VOIP like Skype etc. Vodafone is good for that purpose.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Most hotel's front desk would be happy to arrange a new sim card for you but the low end properties wont provide such a service. Getting a sim card from a mobile shop is not a problem as long as you have your passport and your proof of residence which would be your hotel booking. As mentioned above by Baba, getting one at the airport itself is the best way to go about this in my opinion.

4. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

Do not get Airtel sim card if you are planning on using Skype or other voip services as they have just announced that their 3G data plans do not include voip traffic any more and would be charged separately. I do not understand the logic but thats how it is so go for something like a Vodafone or Reliance instead if you are planning to make voip calls while you are in India.

Rumikhan and DhongiBaba like this.
  5. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

@Gori
    I did read about Airtel charging extra for voip data the other day but I just completely missed out the implications this could have on visiting tourists as they all would most likely use Skype or viber or some other voip service to keep in touch back home as calling direct using the mobile operators network will cost a fortune.

Avoid Airtel at all costs if you are planning to use 3G data for voip of any kind. +1 to Gori for bringing this to notice. Thanks for sharing.

6. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

As you said that you are already using Vodafone in your home country so take my advice and stick to Vodafone in India too. Just go to any Vodafone store and get a prepaid connection, it will not take more than an hour or two to get the services activated.

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I just thought I would add that Airtel did announce extra charges for data used for VOIP calls but they have today announced a roll back of that decision so data charges are back to normal once again.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Rumikhan likes this.
  8. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

When did this happen, do we have any official confirmation of the same?

9. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

The roll back announcement was on TV news channels this morning.