1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places To Visit In Chikmagalur

Discussion in 'West India' started by TwinDuos, Apr 13, 2016.

1. TwinDuos

TwinDuos New Member

I am new to the forum and also starting a new holiday trend with my best friend. It may sound a bit weird, but we are just adventurous and want our holidays to be unexpected which is why we have randomly chosen Chikmagalur as our holiday destination. (We pin a destination on a map with our eyes closed, you should try it!)

So now the research begins, and it is about places to visit in Chikmagalur. We have a seven-day stay so please provide all the information about the places to visit, and we would cramp everything in, as we would want to make the most of our trip.

From what I have read about Chikmagalur, it is a place of mountains, waterfalls.

I am not sure but is Chikmagalur a hill station?

Extra information about places to eat would also be great.

TwinDuos

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

So you have asked for a list of places to visit in Chikmagalur, so here it is:

Mullayanagiri is the highest peak in Chikmagalur and has many trekking trails, for them to reach the Lord Shiva temple on top of the peak.

Baba Budangiri (Datta Peeta) again is a popular tourist destination, which gives some fantastic views. There are three caves here, so when visiting make sure you visit the caves too.

Some of the places with waterfalls are:

Kalhatti Falls

Hebbe Falls which is surrounded by plantations of coffee.

Kadambi Falls is located in Kudremukh, and orchids surround it. These orchids can be seen by the permission of the owners.

The Sharadamba Temple is located in Shringeri, and it is a very popular place to visit. The temple dates back to the 8th century.

The Coffee Museum, a different experience to see and know about when on Holiday. Here the quality of coffee is evaluated.

Ayyanakere Lake is another beautiful place to visit, to just see the sunrise or sunset and simply relax there.

You are right Chikmagalur is a hill station.

3. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

You should probably wait for some time. Once it starts raining this place is heaven. You will never feel that Traveling with heavy rains could be this fun. The sweet smell of Soil, the green surroundings around you. the crackle from the clouds, the music of raindrops will take over you and you will feel as if your soul was reborn. You should visit these places in the month of July and I can guarantee you that these will be your best memories forever. Hope this Helps. Good Luck.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

First of all, I like your technique in deciding on what new places to visit, I must try that some time. Lol. Anyway, on to your question... I'm going to give you some places that I recommend you visit in Chikmagalur. It is actually one of the best hill station destinations in India. They're very popular because despite it being summer, the temperature in Chikmagalur remains cool.

Here are the places that you should definitely check out:

Their Hill Stations

• Kemmangundi. This one is about 55 kms away from Chikmagalur. It is about 1,400 meters in height, complete with lush forests and flora. What will blow you away is the stunning sceneries and views in this hill station, from the gardens, the valleys to the mesmerising sunsets. It's definitely worth a visit especially if you love nature.
    • Kudremukh. This one is about 95 kms away from the town centre of Chikmagalur. Its name can be translated to "Face of the Horse" as the peak of the mountain is shaped just like that. It even overlooks the Arabian Sea.
    • Mullayanagiri. This one is located just 16 kms away from the town centre so there's no excuse not to visit it. It has the tallest peak in Karnataka and driving to the top isn't possible. You would need to trek to reach the top which is well worth it.
    Their Waterfalls
    • Manikyadhara Falls. It has pearl-like water falling from the falls which is why lots of tourists flock to this place.
    • Hanumana Gundi Falls. The best thing about this place is the natural rock formations aside from the waterfalls.
    • Kallathigiri Falls. There's a small temple in between the rock gaps which is very unusual to see but definitely a must visit destination.
    Their Wildlife
    • Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary. There's a wide variety of wildlife to see here, from tigers, elephants and even cobras and pythons.
    • Kudremukh National Park. The largest protected wildlife area in the Western Ghats.
    Their Temples
    • Sharadamba Temple. This is a temple dedicated to the goddess of wisdom. It is said that visiting this place can enhance your learning capacity.
    • Simhanagadde Jwalamalini Temple. This ancient temple dates as far back as the 15th century. Thousands of devotees visit this temple every year.
    Others
    • The Coffee Museum. This is where coffee beans are evaluated whether they have good quality. It is located amidst a beautiful garden, which is just fitting for this museum.
    • Bhadra Dam. You might see crocodiles and deer around the dam itself which is kind of cool, right?
    Where to Eat
    • The Grand Maharaja Multi Cuisine Family Restaurant. Try out the Biryani here. The food is great for an affordable price.
    • The Food Palace, perfect for getting snacks.
    • Odyssey, The Serai. More of fine dining but has great food for a higher price tag.
    • The Estate Cafe. If you love coffee, this one is perfect. Love their little snacks as well.
    I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.