1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Patiala

Discussion in 'Punjab' started by GurinderSingh, Jun 29, 2016.

1. GurinderSingh

GurinderSingh New Member

I am interested in finding out what places to visit in Patiala. It is a destination which I think has a lot of offer, but it is not much advertised or known about.

I know about the famous Palace and popular Gurudwara Dukh Nivaran Sahib, but that's about it. I have only heard about the forts, but I am not 100% sure if there are any in Patiala.

If I was to go Patiala what places could I visit?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Patiala is located in Southeastern Punjab. It is the fourth largest city in Punjab and is the capital of Patiala District. It was established in 1763 by Baba Ala Singh. It is about 454 kms away from the city of Jaipur. Here's a few important tourist destinations in Patiala:
    • The Qila Mubarak Complex. Depicting Sikh architecture, this is one of the most visited attractions in Patiala. It also served as the residence of the Patiala Royals up until the Old Moti Bagh Palace was finished building. The entire area of the complex is about 10 acres and it is located in the heart of the city. Inside the complex, you'll find the Topkhana, the Qila Mubarak, the Sheesh Mahal, the Treasury and the Prison. There's also an art gallery and museum inside the complex.
    • The Sheesh Mahal. Also known as the Palace of Mirrors, so called because inside you'll find mirrors and glasses. There's also a lake in front of the palace. A bridge named Lakshman Jhula, is set across the lake to the palace. There's also a museum with the largest collection of medals in the palace.
    • The Bahadurgah Fort. A little bit further away from Patiala, about 6 kms, you'll find the Bahadurgah Fort. It was originally built by Nawab Saif Khan and was later renovated by Maharaja Amar Singh.
    • The Moti Bagh Palace. This is where you'll find the Sheesh Mahal. But now, the Moti Bagh Palace is the office for the National Institute of Sports.
    • The Baradari Gardens. Its name refers to the 12 entrances to this beautiful garden. The whole garden is a blend of Mughal, Indian, Turkish and Persian architectures. It also houses the 19th Century Fern House and a little Rink Hall.
    • The Bir Moti Bagh. This forest has about 1,600 acres of land. It used to be a hunting preserve for the Maharajas. Now, it has been reformed into a zoo, deer park and medicinal plant forest.
    • The Goddess Kali Temple. It has a 6 feet statue of Goddess Kali. Pilgrims from around the world visit this temple to pay their respects.
    I hope this helps!

3. Deven

Deven Member

There is also a famous Sikh Gurudwara (temple) in Patiala by the name of Gurdwara Dukh Nivaran Sahib. This is one place where you will get a lot of peace and feel very calm when visiting Patiala you should spend at least 1-2 hours at the Gurudwara.

4. calicer1996

calicer1996 New Member

Visit Punjabi University. It has a gurudwara, a really huge library and some great places for picnic. I go to college there. Also, there are various auditoriums open to all. Lots of programs are regularly held there.