1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Rishikesh

Discussion in 'Uttarakhand' started by Jairaj, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Jairaj

Jairaj New Member

I am taking my kids to Rishikesh for river rafting, where we are spending two days doing this activity. I would like to take the kids sightseeing after the rafting activity and would like to know what all places to visit in Rishikesh.

I do not want to go too far out of Rishikesh, so please keep this in mind.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Jairaj! Welcome to the forum!

Rishikesh is considered as the seventh largest city in India. This is also a pilgrimage region for the Hindus. It is also popular for tourists because of its various yoga ashrams and shrines. The Ganges River also flows throughout the town. It is also known as the Gateway to the Himalayas. Some of the famous attractions here are:

Temples
    • Neelkantha Mahadev Temple. This is situated at about 1,675 metres high and it is dedicated to the Lord Shiva.
    • Trayambakeshwar Temple. This is a 13-storey high temple dedicated to different deities.
    • Bharat Mandir. This is the oldest and most sacred temple in the city.
    Ashrams
    • Swarg Ashram. You could find this on the left bank of the Ganges River. This is considered as one of the oldest yoga ashrams in the country. It was built in the memory of Saint Swami Vishudhanand.
    • The Beatles Ashram or the Maharishi Mahesh Ashram. The popular band "The Beatles" visited the Maharishi Mahesh Ashram in the year of 1968 to experience transcendental meditation. They were said to have written various songs during this time that gained huge popularity in the media world.
    • Parmath Niketan. This is the largest ashram in Rishikesh with over 1,000 rooms.
    • Gita Bhavan. Place of Guru Shri Ram Sukh Daasji and twice a year, people gather in this ashram to read the Ramayana.
    Others
    • Laxman Jhula. This is a suspension bridge at a height of 70 feet and a length of 450 feet. According to legends, this is the same spot where Lakshamana crossed the Ganges River on a jute rope.
    • Triveni Ghat. Trine means "Confluence of the Three" as the three rivers meet here: the Ganges, the Yamuna and the Saraswati. Devotees take a dip here as it's believed to be sacred. There's an Arti Ceremony during dusk as well in the Triveni Ghat.
    Now, here's some nearby places to Rishikesh that you can visit:
    • Haridwar. This is just 20 kms away from Rishikesh. This is another pilgrim destination and so it's not unusual to find lots of tourists here. Some attractions here are: Har Ki Pauri, Chandi Devi Temple, Shanti Kunj, Maya Devi Temple and Mansa Devi Temple.
    • Shivpuri. This is just 19 kms away from Rishikesh. This town is famous for its temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is also famous for its various beach camps.
    I hope this helps!