1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plans to Visit Nagaland

Discussion in 'Nagaland' started by CWT91, Jun 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CWT91

CWT91 New Member

Hi,
    I am planning to visit Nagaland!
    I am still planning my trip and would like to keep a look out for potential travel mate in NE India!
    Also, I am open to suggestions, tips (on festivals, transport, accommodation) on how to make travelling in Nagaland a pleasant and enjoyable experience for both myself and the locals!

Thanks!
    Travelling Choo (Facebook Page)

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Nagaland is truly a beautiful land. Far from modern civilisation, it's not unusual to see tribes here. Blessed with lush greenery, incredible landscapes and rich culture, it's no wonder the state is starting to gain public attention. Nagaland is bordered by the following regions:
    • Myanmar in the East
    • Assam in the West
    • Arunachal Pradesh and a part of Assam in the North
    • Manipur in the South
    Nagaland is further divided into eight districts:
    • Dimapur
    • Kohima
    • Mokokchung
    • Mon
    • Phek
    • Tuensang
    • Wokha
    • Zunheboto
    Transportation

You can reach Nagaland through several ways:

1. Air travel - There's an airport in Dimapur, which is about 74 kms away from the capital of Nagaland (Kohima). There are direct flights from Guwahati and Kolkata to Dimapur. Some tourists choose to ride an airplane to Guwahati (Assam) and from there ride a bus or train going to Dimapur, which is about 5 hours more to reach from the former. Some flights I was able to find are:
    • Kolkata to Dimapur via Air India at Rs. 4,217 - Timings are: 10:00 (Departure) and 13:15 (Arrival).
    • Kolkata to Dimapur via Indigo at Rs. 4,313 - Timings are: 10:55 (Departure) and 12:35 (Arrival).
    • Guwahati to Dimapur via Air India at Rs. 8,032 - Timings are: 11:50 (Departure) and 11:40 (Arrival).
    From Dimapur, you can ride buses and taxis to reach Kohima, which can take another three hours.

2. Train - You can ride a train from Kolkata to Dimapur. Some schedules are:
    • Kamrup Express Train No. 15959 - This runs everyday, departs from Howrah Junction at 5:35 pm and arrives at 9:25 pm the next day. Fare is at Rs. 540 to Rs. 2,500.
    • Dibrugarh Express Train No. 15901 - Only runs on Wednesdays, departs from Howrah Junction at 2:25 pm and arrives at 1:52 pm the next day. Fare is at Rs. 540 to Rs. 2,500.
    • Kolkata Dibrugarh Express Train No. 12525 - Only runs on Wednesdays, departs from Howrah Junction at 9:40 pm and arrives at 8:48 pm the next day. Fare is at Rs. 540 to Rs. 2,500.
    These trains also reach Dibrugarh, if you'd like to go there. From Dimapur, you can ride buses and taxis to reach Kohima, which can take another three hours.

3. Buses - You can ride buses from Imphal to Kohima or from Guwahati to Kohima. However, it's not advisable. Although there are roads connecting Kohima to these cities, it can be quite dangers because of the insurgencies.

4. Cars or Rented Vehicles - Again, this is not advisable because of the insurgencies in the road. It's better to ride an airplane going to Dimapur.

Accommodations

There are some accommodations in Nagaland specifically in Dimapur and Kohima. There are many guest houses and home stays you can choose from. Hotels are very limited though. Here are some hotels I was able to find:
    • Hotel Acacia in Dimapur - They have a Deluxe Non-AC Room at Rs. 1,200 per night. Their Deluxe Double AC Room is at Rs. 2,500 per night. Both rooms have cable television, hot/cold shower and in-room dining facilities. Their address is: Opposite East Police Station, Near Dimapur Railway Station, Dimapur, Nagaland 797112.
    • Hotel Japfu in Kohima - They are well-located in the city centre. I wasn't able to find the tariff though for their rooms. Their address is: P.R. Hill, Kohima, Nagaland, 797001. Their contact number is: +91 370 224 0211.
    • Hotel Tragopan in Dimapur - They provide basic amenities for guests. Plus, the hospitality of the staff here is worth mentioning. Tariffs were also not mentioned. You can contact them though at: 03862-230351. Their address is: N.S.T. Colony, Dimapur, Nagaland 797112.
    Then, here are some guest houses:
    • The Royal Escape in Kohima - Room rate is at Rs. 2,875 per night. They have well-maintained rooms and cleanliness is their top priority. It has its own bathroom and cable television. This is also just 2.5 kms away from the town centre.
    • A Beautiful Heritage in Kohima - Room rate is at Rs. 4,600 per night. They have cable television, WiFi and a private bathroom.
    There are lots more of guest houses in Nagaland. Some offer rooms for as low as Rs. 950 per night. Dorm rooms are also available, the cheapest I was able to find is at Rs. 690.

Festivals

Here are some of the festivals celebrated in Nagaland:

1. Sekrenyi Festival of the Angami Tribe - This is celebrated during the month of February for about 10 days. Rituals are done during this festival. The first ritual is called "Kazie" in which a few drops of rice water are taken from the top of the jug (Zumho). These drops would then be put into leaves. The lady of the house places these leaves at the three main posts of the house. Another ritual is the annual bathing of the men in the village well. During night time, the well would be cleaned and young guards are put outside the well.

Again, the next morning, the men are supposed to bathe in the well again. A ritual called Dzuseva is done, where the young men of the town wear two new shawls, the white Mhoushu and the black Lohe then, sprinkle water on their breast, knees and on their right arm. This is supposed to wash off the ills and misfortunes. By then, a fowl would be sacrificed with its intestines removed and hung outside. The elders would come and inspect the intestines. After this, singing and feasting follows for the remaining days of the festival.

2. Maotsu Festival of the Ao Tribe - This is celebrated during the first week of May annually. This festival lasts for only three days. It is a festival of music and dances. One of the events is the Sangpangtu, where all the men and women dress in their best attire and sit by a bonfire. Wine and meat are served, while cows are slaughtered for the festival. However, before the festival begins, the gates are closed for non-residents of the village.

3. Hornbill Festival - This takes place every December 1 and 7 of the year in Kisama. All the tribes in Nagaland join this wonderful festival. Dances and songs are performed as well. Crafts, food fairs, games and sports are also conducted.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.

3. CWT91

CWT91 New Member

Hi Diana!
    Thanks for the detailed write-up!

I am planning to travel overland from Myanmar into India and that will be the North-East of India.
    I do know about the monsoon season in Myanmar & NE India region. Any idea how serious the monsoon season is in the month of August, September? Will the travelling (with regards to transportation) be off limits during the monsoon season?

4. Nexplore

Nexplore New Member

Hi,
    Late August and September is the good time to visit Northeast India. It didn't rain much in September and weather is very good at that time. Transportation is not off limits at that time.