1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Presents For Tour Guides

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Ted, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Ted

Ted New Member

If you were to hire a tour guide or a driver in India, what would be a good idea for a small present for them apart from a tip.

2. Jaynee

Jaynee New Member

If you get to know the driver or guide through the trip you should be able to find out what their hobbies or interests are, or maybe what their favourite drink.is. That would make finding a gift quite easy.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Is it customary to do this? I hadn't thought about gifts other than tips, but it's something I will have to organize if it's normal for people to do that! I would hate to be there empty handed and not have anything special to give my guide. I imagine that anything unique or interesting from your home country will be good though - I would probably take some sort of small souvenir or trinket from my home state, as well as a monetary tip.

4. swalia

swalia Guest

It's not customary to give a gift to the tour guide. However, it is entirely your wish. They are charging you for their services. And if you want to give them a tip or a gift then it's your wish.

5. violet

violet New Member

Have you thought of bringing something from your home country that they may not have in India? A souvenir of some sort that they can use in their car like a keychain or something to hang off the mirror.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

If you want them to remember you, I would choose something from your hometown. Even a hat that says I heart Chicago would be nice. If you are trying to show appreciation, that really depends on the person. Typically, I buy a bottle of alcohol in these situations, but not everyone drinks. I think only one in three drink in India, so that won't always work. Gifts are very personal, so general advice might just be too generic to help.You could get toys for their kids, if they have any, or some of last years electronics. Maybe you have an old smartphone you could give? I would think it also depends on your budget. It might be they would just prefer an extra twenty dollars in tip.

7. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I would just give them a little extra tip rather than try to give a gift. If this sort of thing is necessary then how about buying them a drink or a snack while on the tour. That should be sufficient.