1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rickshaw Travel

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by LMackey, Feb 23, 2016.

1. LMackey

LMackey New Member

Has anyone here taken a rickshaw drive to get from one location to another in the major cities? How safe is it and do you get stuck in the same traffic as other cars and taxis? I'm thinking it is probably the cheapest mode of travel. I heard somewhere that it costs between 75 to 100 rupees if you are only going 2 miles or less.

2. Angelswings

Angelswings New Member

LMackey, do you mean the auto-rickshaws or the type where the man is pedalling a regular bicycle at the front? If it's the latter then I would say it would be slower.

3. JoJo

JoJo New Member

There's an idea. I was wondering how to get from one place to another without a lot of hassle. I did not know there were auto rickshaws. I would guess these would be quicker than the man powered ones.

4. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

Rickshaw rides are great if you're travelling from place to place within a city. They are cheap, and they're fun, and you can see a lot on your journey. I've taken auto rickshaws and the ones with a driver, and they're both fine. Both comfortable, and both definitely quicker than walking! They're also fine and safe. Your rickshaw driver'll probably know the city very well indeed, so'll know how to move through the traffic, when not to, etc.

5. LMackey

LMackey New Member

I think I'd rather the one where the man is pedaling, it would be more interesting and easier to see all around. I've seen the auto one and it looks kind of claustrophobic, it's so tiny.

6. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Both rickshaws (traditional and auto-rickshaws, and more recently, electric powered 'totos') are the kings of urban public transport in Indian cities, Not only are they cheaper than cabs, (and more expensive than buses or metro railway) the drivers know the routes like the back of their hands and depending on the traffic and number of passengers they'll generally take the shortest/traffic-free routes to their destination.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I have taken auto-rickshaws for fairly long distances to go see some temple sites. Actually, I think it was the wrong sort of transport given the distance, but the driver had a fare and did not want to give it up. Still, it was a pleasant trip and I saw much more of the countryside than if I had taken a taxi. Ultimately, it was probably a lot safer outside the city since the traffic was non-existent.

8. Angelswings

Angelswings New Member

jnorth, you said it was maybe the wrong sort of transport for a fairly long distance Was that because you felt every bump in the road? I don't know if they have any kind of restraint, (thinking not), so that would be a bit scary I expect. Still, it sounds more fun than riding a stuffy bus.

9. CityLites

CityLites New Member

It will absolutely be related to road conditions. An auto-rickshaw is powered by a lawn mower engine on a wire frame, more or less. Basically a go-kart. There is basically no padding, so if you're going a distance you'll want a proper vehicle.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

If a tourist is going to go to a major city in India though, you'd think that for part of the experience alone they'd want to take a ride in a Rickshaw. On top of that though, you'd also make sure that it was a man powered one one rather than auto as there isn't that many cities in the world you can go these days and still see them as forms of transport.

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, it was entirely underpowered, not enclosed, felt the bumps, was slow, and what you would expect from a scooter engine pulling three people. I did not know our destination was so far, otherwise I would have gotten a taxi. In the city, it is more than fine, but not the best if you are going far. I like them as a way to travel, and feel it is part of the experience. But it is important to know their limitations.

12. Rickshaws are the cheapest and most easily accessible mode of transport in India. Depending on the location the kind of experienceyou have may vary. In cities where autorickshaws have meters installed you will stand very less chance of being duped, but in places where they don't you can easily get overcharged. Confirm with some locals what the charge of travelling would be for a particular place.

13. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, it is very important to know what transportation should cost before hopping in a rickshaw or taxi. Your hotel should be able to answer that best, since they will know the costs from the hotel as the center.