1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safest places in India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Eminrac, May 23, 2016.

1. Eminrac

Eminrac New Member

Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone has any stats on where the safest places in India might be? I am planning a trip to India, but don't know where to go. I've heard things about bad drinking water, and high crime rates in a lot of cities there, and of course I would like to avoid all those things because there are so many sights, and beautiful things that the country has to offer as well.

I've also heard some less than happy stories from a couple friends who have travelled there. I am dying to go and check out some of India's landmarks, but just want some piece of mind before I spend the money, haha. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for checking out my post, and talk to you soon : )

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

There's a lot of safe places in India but the safest is your resort, honestly. High tourist areas are usually safe during the day. But, if you plan on drinking it's best to stay at your resort, especially if you are female and are new to travelling to India.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi! From what I've researched, here are the top five safest cities in India:
    • Vadodara (with a safety index of 74.06%) is originally the cultural capital of Gujarat state. If you love art and history, then this is the place for you. There's the EME Temple, the Kirti Mandir, the Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum and lots more.
    • Surat (with a safety index of 72.63%) is undeniably one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. It has earned the seconds spot in this list because of the lower crime rate in this area as compared to other cities in India. The National Park of Bulsar is a must-see destination, it's full of wild animals and spectacular views. Other places to visit are Dumas, Bardoli and Bulsar.
    • Ahmedabad (with a safety index of 71.39%) has lots of mosques, temples and historical buildings. Visit Ahmed Shah's Mosque which is the mosque for the founder of the city. The Akshardham Temple has about two million visitors every year. Then, there's also Shanku's Water Park, perfect for families or even friends who travel together.
    • Visakhapatnam (with a safety index of 69.82%) has the oldest shipyard in India. Visit the Borra Caves and bask in the mesmerising rock formations. There's also the Yarada beach, with golden sand and clear, blue water. The Araku Valley boasts of lush and green surroundings, perfect for nature lovers.
    • Kochi (with a safety index of 67.67%) is the gateway to Kerala. Visit the Mattancherry to indulge in old architecture full of history and stories. The Princess Street is an old-fashioned street with restaurants, grocery and other stores, perfect for bargain shopping or buying souvenirs.
    When it comes to water, it's best to bring your own and just buy from convenience stores. I've listed the cities with the lowest crime rates so you don't need to worry as much about your safety in these places. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Chahal likes this.