Sariska Or Jim Corbett Or Ranthambore National Park

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Bobby, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Bobby

Bobby New Member

I would like to take my family to a wildlife sanctuary within North India and out of the national parks I have researched and have cut the list short to three choices which are Sariska National Park, Ranthambore National Park and Jim Corbett.

Now the dilemma starts as I don't know which one to choose out of the three given choices. I am from Delhi so distance wise all three are within driving distance. All three parks are very well known and have their own perks and experiences and currently, for me, the only difference between the three is that they are all in different locations and I can only go to one of these.

I would like someone to shed some light on each one of the parks, so it would be easy for me to decide which park to choose.

You are also welcome to give your suggestions to which park should be chosen along with a reason why you think so.

Another point which would help me in deciding would be to find out at which park would there be a more likely chance to see a tiger, as that is something which my kids are eager to see.

Which park has the most number of animals.

I believe all the parks have accommodation available so some details on that would also be good such as which park has the best accommodation options available etc.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Bobby! Welcome to the forum!

So first, let me give you a quick breakdown of the essential information about these three parks:

1. Sariska Tiger Reserve
    • Open from October to June. Closed during monsoon season which is from July to end of September.
    • Located in the Alwar District of Rajasthan, about 200 kms away from Delhi.
    • It has an area of 866 square kms.
    • Established in the year of 1955.
    • In 2003, about 16 tigers were in the park. But in 2004, all these tigers disappeared presumably because of poaching. In 2006, three tigers were relocated to the reserve. By the end of 2006, two more tigers were relocated in the reserve. Two tigers cubs were seen thereafter, bringing the total to seven tigers. In 2014, about 13 tigers were living in Sariska Tiger Reserve.
    • Aside from the Royal Bengal tigers, there are also leopards, jungle cats and hyenas in the park.
    • Forests here are dry and deciduous, with cliffs, rocks and grasses. Dhok trees are the predominant kind of trees here.
    • This is the first tiger reserve in the world to have successfully relocated tigers.
    • There's a rest house operated by the forest department although it's not clear if they rent it out to guests.
    • The timings for the wildlife safari are: October: 6: 30 am to 10:00 am & 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm, November to January: 7:00 am to 10:30 am & 2: 00 pm to 5:30 pm, February to March: 6:30 am to 10:00 am & 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm, April to May: 6:00 am to 9:30 am & 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm and May to June: 6:00 am to 9:30 am & 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm.
    • Cost of hiring a vehicle is at Rs. 1,000 for three hours.

2. Jim Corbett National Park
    • Open from September until May. Remains closed during July to October. Although three zones are open all-year round which are: Jhirna, Dhela and Sitabani.
    • Located in the Nainital District of Uttarakhand, about 248 kms away from Delhi.
    • It has an area of 520.8 square kms.
    • Established in the year of 1936, making it the oldest national park in the country. Project Tiger was also first launched here.
    • There are about 160 tigers in the park. It has the highest density of tigers in all of the national parks in India, at about 20/100 square kilometres.
    • The reserve also has about 700 Asian elephants. The park also has a variety of deers: Chitals, Paras, Sambars and Kakars. And there's about 600 species of birds in the park.
    • More than 600 species of trees, shrubs and herbs are in the park. The most dominant trees are: Sal, Sissoo and Khair.
    • It has five zones: Bijrani, Tourist, Jhirna, Dhela and Sitabani. Additionally, there's the Durga Devi Zone for bird-watching and the Dhikala Zone where guest lodging is available. There are also rest houses in Jhirna, Sultan and Gaira. You have to book in advance to be able to stay in these lodges.
    • The timings for the Jeep Safari are: 5:45 am to 9:15 am & 3:00 pm to 6:15 pm. The cost is Rs. 4,000 for Indians and Rs. 7,000 for foreigners.
    • The timings for the Canter Safari are: 6:00 am to 11:30 am & 12:00 pm to 5:30 pm. The cost is Rs. 1,500 for Indians and Rs. 3,000 for foreigners.
    • You can only access one zone at a time per safari. You can do two safaris max per day.

3. Ranthambore National Park
    • Remains open from October to the middle of June. Closed during monsoon season, July to August.
    • Located in the Sawai Madhopur District of Rajasthan, about 480 kms from Delhi.
    • It has an area of 392 square kms.
    • Established in the year 1980, making it one of the newer parks in the country.
    • There are about 62 tigers in the park, which makes it one of the best parks to see tigers.
    • Tigers, striped hyenas, leopards, Chitals, Macaques and Indian foxes are just some of animals you can see here. There are 320 species of birds, 40 species of mammals and 35 species of reptiles.
    • The park has dry and deciduous forests along with open grassy meadow. About 530 species of plants can be found here. Dhok trees are the most common species of tree in here.
    • November and May are supposedly the best times to spot a tiger here. Some say that tigers can be easily spotted in this park.
    • The park has about 10 Zones. Tigers can be easily seen from Zones 1 to 5.
    • There are no accommodation options within the park itself.
    • You would need an approved guide and vehicle to enter the park. Morning safari is from 6:00 am to 10:30 am and afternoon safari is from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
    • A shared jeep costs Rs. 2,500 per person. A shared canter costs Rs. 1,500 per person. Hiring the entire jeep is at Rs. 15,000.
    • Reserve 90 days in advance to be able to choose your zone.
    There you go. Out of the three, your best options are: Jim Corbett National Park and Ranthambore National Park. The Jim Corbett National Park has the highest density of tigers. But the Ranthambore National Park has a good number of tigers too. Now, when it comes to other species of animals, Jim Corbett National Park wins on that aspect. Accommodation-wise, Jim Corbett has lodges for tourists inside the park, while Ranthambore doesn't have one.

So in summary: Jim Corbett National Park has a higher number of tigers, higher number of other animals and has lodging for guests. I think it's the clear winner in all aspects.

I hope this helps!