1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schedule for Marathons and benefits as a tourist

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by djtravels, Oct 9, 2016.

1. djtravels

djtravels Member

Backpacking will only get you so far in experiencing a city. The real way to experience a city is to run in one of the major events. The best way to experience a city is to inter-mingle with its people. And events like the ones mentioned below bring out people from all walks of life. You get to meet celebs, politicians, and billionaires. You get to make new friends. And you get to test your endurance against some of the world's best runners.

If you're a runner and would like to challenge yourself while in India, here is the schedule for various major running events this year(2016):

1. The Bengaluru Marathon - 16th Oct 2016 - Bengaluru - Full, Half, 5k
    2. Pune Running Beyond Run - 16th Oct 2016 - Pune - Full, Half, 10k, 5k, 3k
    3. Celebrations Run - 23rd Oct 2016 - Mumbai - 10k
    4. Cancer Charity Run - 23rd Oct 2016 - Bengaluru - 10k
    5. Goa Beachathalon - 12th Nov 2016 - Goa - 10k, 5k
    6. The Hindustan Times Triathalon - 13th Nov 2016 - Mumbai - Triathalon
    7. The Beer Mile Run - 20th November - Bengaluru - Drinking beer and running 1k
    8. Airtel Delhi Half Marathon - 20th November - Delhi - Half, 6k
    9. Airtel Run for Education - 27th Nov 2016 - Kolkata - 10k, 5k
    10. The Pink City Ultra Run - 27th Nov 2016 - Jaipur- Ultra only
    11. Bangalore Midnight Marathon - 10th Dec 2016 - Bengaluru - Full, Half, 10k, 5k
    12. The Wipro Chennai Marathon - 11th Dec 2016 - Chennai - Full, Half, 10k
    13. The Tata Steel Kolkata 25k - 18th Dec 2016 - Kolkata - 25k 10k, 5k, 2k
    14. Run for Eye Donation Awareness - 25th Dec 2016 - Mumbai - 10k, 5k, 2k
    15. Christmas Run - 25th Dec 2016 - Bengaluru - 10k, 5k, 3k

These are the major ones this year. Please add to them, if you feel I left out any other major running event.

Mumbai Marathon - 15th January, 2017 - The Holy Grail of Marathons

This is especially true of an event that's coming up in January, 2017. The Standard Chartered Marathon or what is called THE Mumbai Marathon is a major major event. And the only way to gain entry is by getting a timing certificate from a previous marathon/ running event. Athletes from around the world will descend upon Mumbai for this event. Register and test yourself against the best in the world!

* All events mentioned above have their own individual websites. Some get a new website every year, which is why I haven't included links.

2. calicer1996

calicer1996 New Member

I just ran a marathon held in Patiala. My maiden one, a full 42.2 km. It was exhilarating. I finished in 3:30. It is my dream to go bag packing all around the world and just running and winning marathons!! Thanks for the detailed info!

3. djtravels

djtravels Member

Hmm.. 3:30 is an awesome time man. If you can come down and run one of the airtel runs, you'll be able to get a certificate and all. This will help you compete for the much bigger marathons including the Mumbai and Boston Marathons. You can actually travel the world running marathons if you want. But, of course, the healthy number is 3 marathons per year.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I agree that one of the best ways to experience the culture of a place is to see a major event. The festival of lights or Diwali (please correct me if I'm wrong) is one good event to experience. And why am I saying this? Because I cannot join a running event much more a marathon. but in fairness to me, I would also enjoy taking pictures and videos in case I am there when the marathon is held. And I used to run when I was younger although age forbids me to do that now.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

You have a point there. There is so much to witness and experience for all ages. You must be here during Holi where colour is thrown on others and it is a sight to watch and participate.

Holi_Pic.jpg

Image Source: Wikimedia commons