1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shivpuri National Park

Discussion in 'Madhya Pradesh' started by djtravels, Sep 25, 2016.

1. djtravels

djtravels Member

If you're moving through MP, you'll likely go to Khajuraho, Bhopal, Ujjain, Sanchi, etc. These are all well known tourist destinations. However, the least talked about tourist destinations are the national parks, jungle retreats, and the like in Madhya Pradesh.

I mean this is the place where the erstwhile Maharajas used to hunt big game and the place that essentially inspired Rudyard Kipling to write about Mowgli.

Anyways, I want to talk about Shivpuri's national park. Its called Madhav national park. The park situated close to Gwalior and the entry fee is really nominal. You get charged for carrying cameras, which is fine. You can drive through in your own car, or you can get one of theirs. I don't know if that is still the option now, but it was an option when we visited. The place is essentially a haven for 5 different kinds of deer.

Things you will definitely see: You'll definitely see the four horned antelope, the blackbuck deer, crocodiles, the Indian Gazelle, and all forms of migratory birds.

Things you might see: Leopards are rare since they come out only at night. You might also run into a sloth beer, but they tend to stay away from the road.

Best point of reference: The George castle. Its more of a stately home than a castle (my house is bigger than this building). It was built by the Maharaja of Gwalior to host his friend George the 5th of England, as the two were to go on a Tiger hunt. This home oversees the whole region and provides a great view. This is where you realize the benefits of having a great camera.

2. Prits

Prits Member

Is the park closed anytime throughout the year or is it open all year round?

3. Karan

Karan Member

The park is open all year round from sunrise to sunset. It is recommended that you visit the park during the summer season when more wildlife can be seen.