1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeper Class on Indian Railway

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by JimGreves, Jul 31, 2015.

1. JimGreves

JimGreves New Member

I will be traveling from Jaipur to Kathgodam and thinking of taking a train as mode of transport. I have checked the train tickets and was considering the sleep class, but strangely it is cheaper than the normal chair seat.

Should I get the sleep class ticket or opt for something else?

2. Deven

Deven Member

If I was you I would avoid sleeper class as it is not air conditioned and rather opt for II A/C class which is better.

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Sleeper class is good for shorter journeys say 1-2 days for longer duration either opt for AC or any other rajdhani duronto etc.

These days their are certain regions where even a sleeper coach is turned into a general 'diba' by the locals especially in bihar,orrissa..

Sent from my Tapatalk 2

4. Chrisanswer

Chrisanswer New Member

As other posters have mentioned, the air conditioning is terrible on Indian Trains so sleeper class is advisable for shorter journeys. I must however confess to being a sleeper class addict. There's something amazing about falling asleep in one place and waking up in another. I've travelled in India in sleeper class, and while it was a hot experience I also found it very rewarding. So the question is Can you handle it? If you don't mind the heat I would recommend sleeper class. I should also add, that the people you meet on long sleeping train journeys really add something to your trip that you can't get from anywhere else.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As others have already said, I'd think a lot will depend on the length of your journey and your tolerence towards others around you. Personally I wouldn't like to travel sleeper class no matter how long the journey is but that's my choice. The heat and being surrounded by people I don't know would get on my nerves after a while but if that's not something that concerns you, then it is a cheaper option when it comes to travelling.

6. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

As everybody else said, sleeper class would not be advisable for a long journey. There is no AC and in day time you can find a lot of local people also travel in your compartments. In AC compartment others are not allowed. In case if you are more concerned about safety of your luggage, an AC compartment would be suitable for you.

Sleeper class is cheaper as there is no AC and in day time it is almost like a general compartment.