1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spice Plants in Munnar

Discussion in 'South India' started by SheetalNayee, Jun 25, 2015.

1. SheetalNayee

SheetalNayee New Member

I will be in Munnar for a short duration and during the stay one of the important things I want to do is purchase some spice plants, and need some guidance to where I can find spice plants from in Munnar.

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

There are two places from where you can get spice plants from, one is Thekkady and the other Kumily.

3. Deven

Deven Member

If you are going back home by bus or train its ok but, if your taking a flight you may not be allowed to carry the plants.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here are some spice plantations in Munnar where you can buy some spice plants:

Spice Plantations in Munnar

1. Deepa World Spice and Ayurveda Plantation - They offer spice plantation tours with a guide who would teach you more about the varieties of spices in the plantation. They also offer an Ayurveda plantation tour focusing on the major herbs used for an Ayurvedic treatment. You can also enjoy the view of the plantation from their tree top house. You can buy spice plants, spices and Ayurvedic herbs from them as well. They have a website where you can contact them about buying spice plants online. You can also buy directly from their plantation if you visit them. Here's some of their information:
    • Address: Spring Valley, Kumily, Idukki District, Kerala, India, 685509.
    • Contact numbers: 08086744725 and 09995214489.
    2. Cinnamon Gardens - This is just 13 kms away from the city centre of Munnar. They have various spices in their plantation: Myrtle pepper, tulsi, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmegs, black pepper, turmeric and vanilla. They have been around for about 25 years already although they just opened the plantation to the public in 2005. The Cinnamon Gardens houses over 100 plants, herbs, trees and shrubs. You can even stay in the gardens as the plantation has a home stay. Here are some of their information:
    • Address: Vattayar P.O, Karadippara, Munnar, Idukki District, Kerala, India, 685 612.
    • Contact number: +91 04864 278459.
    So these are all the spice plantations I was able to find in Munnar. There are a few more spice plantations outside of Munnar, in Thekkady and Kumily though. Here they are:

Spice Plantations in Thekkady and Kumily

1. Green Park Ayurvedic and Spice Plantation - This plantation has different kinds of spices and herbs. Some of their spice plants are black pepper, cardamom, turmic, coco and grampoo. They also have an artificial paddy field that yields crops twice a year. You can also stay in their tree houses which offer panoramic views of the plantation. To reach the tree house, you'd have to cross their suspension bridge, which is the largest privately owned bridge in the country. Some of their information are:
    • Address: Laksham Veedu Colony Road, Thekkady, Kumily, Kerala 685509.
    • Contact number: +91 94468 06941.
    2. Spice Village - This is a resort set amidst a spice plantation. Aside from offering spice plantation tours, the resort gets its ingredients from the nearby tribes' plants and crops. Hence, you're assured of the quality of your meals. You can also buy spice plants from the plantations outside the resort.
    • Address: Kumily Thekkady Road, Thekkady, Kumily, Kerala 685509.
    • Contact number: +91 484 301 1711.
    3. Abraham's Spice Garden - This plantation has been around for around 50 years now. In here, you can interact with the agriculturists to know more about the spices. Topics like spice cultivation, organic farming, Ayurvedic herbs and scientific knowledge about plants can be asked to the agriculturists. They even sell spices online sending it through a courier. They have coffee, pepper, vanilla, cocoa and cardamom. Here are some more information about them:
    • Address: Spring Valley, Kumily, Thekkady, Idukki District, Kerala, 685509.
    • Contact number: +91 4869 222919.
    4. Shalimar Spice Garden - This is mainly a resort but they do have a spice plantation in the premises. You can even ride an elephant for their spice plantation tour. Aside from this, all ingredients used in the hotel's meals are from the spice plantation. Some of the information about them are:
    • Address: Murikkady, Kumily, 685535, Idukki, Kerala, India
    • Contact number: +91 4869 222132.
    There you go. I hope this helps!

5. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well unfortunately anytime that I would be visiting it would be via plane, so the only time I would be able to utilize this would be if it were for an extended stay. I would love for that to happen, but it is not in the works anytime soon so I am not sure it will ever happen. I am sure that this would be something I would be interested in, though, and I bet that it would do wonder for my cooking. Thanks for sharing.