1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiritual journey

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Sat Chitta, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Sat Chitta

Sat Chitta New Member

Hello everyone,
    I need your helpful advice and suggestions. I'm planning a 3 months trip to India in search of treasures within. I'm fascinated by the great seekers of India from Buddha to Ramana Maharshi, who have explored the mind and the essence of our existence. My trip is a pilgrimage to these traditions and places. I will be grateful if you can help me with my journey. I have not much idea of these places. I intend to travel light and stay in monasteries and ashrams wherever possible. I haven't made elaborate plans and hoping that the Universe will guide me and help me find shelter on my journey. Rough itinerary that is being shaped is here. I look forwards to your advice and suggestions on it:

Delhi (I want to visit Shivali Yogi, if possible)
    Dharamasala - Dalialama's monastery
    Uttarkashi, Kedarnath ,Badrinath
    Rishikesh - Paramjeet Niketan, Baba Neeb Karori Ashram
    Haridwar
    Gorakhpur - Gorakhnath Mutt
    Varanasi
    Bodhgaya - 10 day Vipassana
    Ranchi, Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Math
    Coorg, Karnataka- Namdroling Nyingmapa Tibetan Monastery
    Coimbatore (Sadhguru, Isha Foundation)
    Kodaikkanal ( Tureya Ashram)

I know Rishikesh, Varanasi etcetra are holy places but not sure places or ashrams I need to focus on. I do not want to miss ashrams of any living or past spiritual masters. Look forward to your help.

Peace and happiness to you all.

Admin likes this.

2. Sat Chitta

Sat Chitta New Member

I meant Shiv Yogi ( in Delhi).

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There is a small book called "Raj Yoga" written by Swami Vivekananda. I would recommend spending a day reading it and understanding it. It is a small book with not many pages but it will make an impact.

I have not been to all the places you have listed above but some I have, what is your question?

I gave up on my quest of truth when I got interested in astrology and now other things look less important or even meaningless to an extent. Life has a rythm to it that can be tracked and can be altered to some extent. Astrology gave me a new perspective about everything in life and I feel I am more at peace with my surroundings due to my knowledge of astrology (whatever little I have learnt over the years).

I would be happy to help you with whatever information you need about the destinations I have been to. Please elaborate , what is it that you want to know.

Sat Chitta likes this.
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Excuse my typos, I typed my reply on the phone. It's late here in India.

5. Sat Chitta

Sat Chitta New Member

Thank you Admin for your reply. Really appreciate it.
    I'll certainly read 'Raj Yoga'.
    I am planning this journey with very limited knowledge of these places and ashrams. Mainly from research online. So my question is whether there are ashrams or places that are worth visiting besides the ones which I have identified? Is it possible to stay for a couple of nights at least, in these ashrams? And in Varanasi, are there ashrams worth visiting? I couldn't find any online. I'm not so much into temples. I prefer to learn from great seekers past and present, from their experiences and teaching. Hence my focus on ashrams. Tureya ashram is somewhere I want to spent a month or so. It will be great to learn more on the places you have been to.
    I understand your take on Astrology. It is an interesting subject. May be something that can fine tune the mind, if approached with right understanding. I suppose it needs much dedication and practice, like everything else.
    Thanks for you help again!

Peace and happiness!

6. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

What is your definition of "worth visiting"?

Sat Chitta likes this.
  7. Sat Chitta

Sat Chitta New Member

Thanks Tanmaya, it was an unconscious selection of words. Nevertheless I meant a place that is genuine and serious about its approach rather than an institution that is set up to serve itself or its founders. I'm not being judgemental here, it is just a notion. I'm open to suggestions on any Ashram that anyone here may feel is suitable experience for someone who is seeking real peace and positive energy.

I hope I have made it a bit more clearer.

Admin likes this.
  8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I have also plans of going on a spiritual trip. In Bangkok, I had a grand time talking with the monks on the streets. In the temples that we visited, my camera enjoyed the view. I am also interested in the spirituality of Indians although I know that it is yoga that is dominant. I think it is called swami, the spiritual guru. Am I right on that? I have a lot to learn about yoga and yogis that it will be on my list when we go to India.

9. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

You are not judgemental but your thoughts are in the right direction. There have been many so called Ashrams with just a facade of spirituality. The latest fraud was the owner of DERA who is now cooling his heels in prison. Just search for 'Ram Rahim' and you will get to read all about him. I cannot recommend any Ashrams as being above board as nothing is seen on the surface.