1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple - Richest Hindu Temple In India!

Discussion in 'South India' started by travelguide, Sep 26, 2015.

1. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

According to Guinness World records, Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala replaced Tirupati Temple as the richest Hindu temple in India. The secret cellars were found to contain vast treasures of gold, silver and precious stones. Its secret underground chambers contain enormous treasures.

The temple is a mix of Kerala and Dravidian architecture. It has outstanding works in stone and bronze. Interiors are beautifully painted and adorned with murals. It is now a hot tourist destination as the temple has been in the news headlines for its hidden wealth.

The overall atmosphere of this temple gives a new experience to its visitors.

2. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I think this is good news to the tourists and also the local people as there are cellars which were secrets and wonder how much more is to be discovered, and amazing that this wealthy temple and wonder what the history is of this temple. It has many festivals and also that can be a good time for families to gather together and also hope, people visit this place and also learn some history form the area and get a tour of the temple. It is interesting to see the many celebrations which are held here and also people can visit it daily and see how the customs are and learn some new things in the process.

3. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

I never knew about this temple at all. Shame on me! Was the temple built by any dynasty or a community? Wonder who would have had so much wealth to hide away if not a king. When you say Guiness has certified it the richest temple, I'm assuming the treasure is still present in the temple? Or has been taken into the government treasury? Any idea?

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Sounds like it would be an incredible sight to see. The sheer exorbitance and wealth in constructing it would be breathtaking. I just looked it up online and it already has me completely captivated. It's definitely something that I'd like to see in person if I have the opportunity - I think to myself if it looks like that in pictures, I can't imagine how amazing it would be up close!!

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have been to Tirupati temple.I paid purchases a ticket and queued for 5 hours to have the darshan of Lord Vishnu in Tirupati temple. I even had a free meal offered by the temple. I thought Tirupati was the richest temple in India, however, I am surprised to know that are is another temple richer than Tirupati temple. Can you tell me which God or Goddess is Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple dedicated to.

6. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

I have been to both Tirupathi and Anantha Padmanabha Temple In Kerala. Both were great experiences but the latter was a lot more pleasurable than the former. But when we were there the hidden treasures of Anantha Padmanabha Temple hadn't been discovered yet. Kerala does a better job in maintaining cleanliness than Tirupathi. Although there are not many visitors coming to Anantha Padmabha Temple as opposed to Tirupathi, it is always nice to see a historic site, be as clean as Anantha Padmanabha Temple. They have done a very commendable job in maintaining the cleanliness in the outskirts of the Temple as well as on the inside. We had to wear traditional South Indian clothing to enter the temple. I think the crowd that visits Tirupathi is huge, and it is extremely tough to get through it. But both of the trips went out great, and I highly recommend to pay a visit to both of these locations.

Chahal likes this.
  7. JKewe

JKewe New Member

This is very exciting! I am putting it on my itinerary for Kerala. I hope that there will be a tour available for visitors to see some of the amazing treasures.

8. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

I have been to Padmanavaswamy Temple and can tell you from my personal experience, it is as awesome as it is described to be. The temple proper and the palace surrounding it are truly breathtaking in their architectural beauty and historical value. But there are certain restrictions while entering the temple. Since the temple is managed by a very strict Hindu community of pundits who adhere to archaic values, there are certain protocols in place for a visitor, like guys would have to enter without shirts and wearing a dhoti, while women have to wear sarees, which can be quite an unpleasant experience for some. Also, expect a somewhat different treatment if you are not a Hindu. As I told earlier, archaic practices...