1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studying And Living In Mcleod Ganj Dharamsala

Discussion in 'North India' started by PhatPilgrim, Apr 8, 2016.

1. PhatPilgrim

PhatPilgrim New Member

Hello! This is my first time posting on India travel forum so please bear with me!

I'm registered to study Tibetan in McLeod Ganj for nine months starting in September so I'm going to be applying for a student visa. I was going to just try to find a place to stay upon arriving in McLeod Ganj, but it appears since I'll be staying for more than six months, I have to register with Foreign Registration Office or something. So, my question is, do I need to arrange accommodation for the entire nine months ahead of time, and, if so, can anyone recommend a low-price place to stay that includes access to a kitchen? Really any information about registering and long-term accommodation in McLeod Ganj would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Talking Monkey

Talking Monkey New Member

When you first arrive at Mcleodganj you can stay at one of the many hotels and guest houses there until you find suitable long term accommodation. FRRO or Foreign regional registration office will get your form that hotel staff will send over so you have no role to play in that. I am not sure what happens after you move into a rented house or flat, I am sure other members will have an answer to that.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would recommend seeing if there is anyone else in your program. It would be very possible to secure a very nice house with roommates to share expenses. Getting a house for a nine month rental will be much better than a hotel for that duration. And, it will likely be easier than getting an apartment.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

For foreigners arriving in India with the following visas and staying for more than 180 days, you would need to register in the Foreigner Registration Office:
    • Student Visa
    • Research Visa
    • Employment Visa
    • Missionary Visa
    • Medical Visa
    Visas that are more than 180 days should also register for the Foreigner Registration Office. You have about 14 days within your 1st day of arrival to register for the office. So considering this, you really won't need to find an accommodation in advance in Mcleodganj.

There are also different Foreign Registration Offices in India that you can go to in order to register. Here are some of the offices:
    • Delhi Branch - Address: East Block VIII, Level 2, Sector 1, R.K. Puram, New Delhi, Delhi 110066.
    • Chandigarh Branch - Address: 1st Floor of Police Headquarters Buildings, Section 9, Chandigarh.
    • Srinagar Branch - Address: Sher-I Near Government Arts Emporium, Sher-I Kashmir Park Lane, Munshi Bagh, Srinagar, 190001.

Just make sure that you register within 14 days of your arrival in India. Here are the documents that you might need:
    • Application form
    • Photocopy of passport and initial visa
    • Four photographs of the applicant
    • Certificate from the institution or school you're going to

If you'd like though, here's a list of some budget accommodations in Mcleodganj, which has rooms for rent on a monthly basis of payment:
    • Kailwood Guest House - This guest house has two floors with rooms for guests. They cater to both long-term and short-term guests. All rooms have attached bathroom, kitchenette, study table and window facing a great view. Here is their address: Tushita Road, Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh, 176219. Their rates are not published online so you'd have to contact them: +91 98162 60162. They also have a website that you can visit with the same name as above.
    • East Home - They have different rooms for rent for a minimum of one month. Rates vary, between Rs. 16,000 to Rs. 20,000 per month. Each room has an attached bathroom, balcony and kitchenette. This is also very near to the home of the Dalai Lama. Here is their address: East Home, Jogiwara Road, Mcleodganj. Their contact number is: +91 9736894207.
    • Vishnu Bhawan - This is an apartment which accommodates guests for long-term rentals. Their rates begin at Rs. 13,500 per month. They are very near the Mcleodganj Bus Stand at two kms away. The Tibetan Temple is a few kms away as well. All rooms include a small kitchen and attached bathroom. Their address is: Village Jogiwara, Mcleodganj, Upper Dharamsala. Their contact number is: +91 9805398355.
    I hope this helps.:)