1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surfing In Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Srilanka' started by amelia88, Oct 21, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I read recently that Sri Lanka is pretty great for surfing! As someone who is a recreational surfer, I'd love to know what beaches are great for it - and how much of a surfing culture there is there!

For instance, are there places where you can hire boards? Obviously trying to travel with my surfboard would be next to impossible - so I would need to know whether or not that was a possibility.

In my reading about it, Arugam Bay was mentioned as one of the great spots for surfing but does anyone have any other recommendations that may not be as well known?

2. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

:) I know it was ages ago that you posted, but I just came across your message and felt sad that no one had answered it! I'm not even sure I can say anything useful. I thought Sri Lanka was incredible. I'd never been anywhere that was green in the same way - it made me feel at a complete loss for how to describe it. Like I know the words somewhere, but I can't find them for the life of me. My only advice would be to do some research into what time of year is good before you go. I spent some time on the coast in a hotel with a pool, but I'm a real sea girl, so I headed for the beach, which was just outside the hotel grounds. It was deserted, and there were good waves, but there was also a strong undertow. I did a little swimming, but I stayed well within my height limit, and I didn't stay for very long. I can see that it'd be a good place to surf, but I wouldn't have wanted to try it then (which was in late July/early August). Have you been since you posted the message? Have you found out anything else that's useful?