1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things To Carry While Travelling To Manali

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by NidhiBatra, Mar 26, 2016.

1. NidhiBatra

NidhiBatra New Member

A family holiday has been planned to Manali in May, which would consist of myself, my husband, and two younger children aged 5 years and 2 years old.
    I have always been a bit iffy about traveling with small children thinking that there maybe something I need which would not be available or the kind of things I would need to take along with me such as the right kind of clothes preventing kids from the cold etc.
    We have finally decided a holiday destination which is Manali, and I need all the help I can get with the things to carry while travelling to Manali. I have got some questions which I would like answered that would help me to decide what to carry along with me, but any other information or details from users would be great. Please keep in mind I have two small children with me.

1. What is the weather like in Manali during May?

2. Is medicine easily available, are there a number of medical stores near by or are they far away?

3. Is there pure milk easily available from restaurants and hotels?

4. Should I be taking any kind of dry food with me for the kids if they need it during the night?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

What sort of dry foods are you requiring? I think most of your needs can be satisfied locally. I would arrange them in advance through your hotel, if possible. At the very least, they can tell what are the closest local stores. I am not sure about medicine. Would this be things like cough syrup, or prescription medicine?

If you have worries about small children traveling, a good tip is to give them a small, simple toy. Hand it to them if they start being a little rambunctious. It will occupy them nicely.

3. Deven

Deven Member

Weather during May is very pleasant, and you can expect temperatures of 26c-29c.

There are plenty of medical stores in Manali, so medicines are easily available and nearby, but it is recommended that you take all necessary medications with you when you travel.

When you say pure milk, I don't exactly know what you mean, but I am assuming milk from the dairy.
    It is something which you need to ask the hotel and restaurants when you are there to find out what milk they use, but I only assume they use packaged milk.

With small kids it is always good to have some extra food with you, dry food is always good as it won't get ruined, and you can have it whenever. In case, it is needed. You can pack some food from restaurants or the hotel to keep with you during the night.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi, I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1. What is the weather like in Manali during May?

• Typically, summer season in Manali starts during March and ends in June. So expect May to be hot because it is summer season. The temperature ranges from 10 degree Celsius to 25 degree Celsius. The weather is very much tolerable during the day and becomes cold at night. Snow can only be seen in the highest points of mountains.
    2. Is medicine easily available, are there a number of medical stores near by or are they far away?
    • There are some pharmacies within Manali, though they aren't so many. It's better to bring important medicines with you, like prescription ones, cough and cold medicines and the likes.
    3. Is there pure milk easily available from restaurants and hotels?
    • There would probably be fresh milk in the restaurants and hotels. You need to ask the hotel you're staying in beforehand so you'd know for sure.
    4. Should I be taking any kind of dry food with me for the kids if they need it during the night?
    • Yes, some crackers, chips and biscuits would be great for them. It helps fill them up in cases that they are hungry but there isn't food that is available yet.
    Here are some more tips:
    • Print your documents like a tour confirmed voucher so you can easily show them to the cab driver. Print your itinerary as well so you'd know which are included and not included in the tour.
    • Always read reviews about a possible hotel before reserving or booking. This way, you can be sure if the hotel is worth the money.
    • Do not overeat as this can cause nausea in higher altitudes.
    • Ask for permission before taking pictures, especially in buildings and monuments.
    • Bring sunscreen and lotion to protect and hydrate your skin.
    I hope this helps!

Chahal likes this.