1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tirthan Valley

Discussion in 'Destination Guides' started by Chahal, May 22, 2016.

1. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Tirthan Valley At A Glance:

Attractions
    - Valley, Mountain, Trekking, Riverside, Bird Watching
    State - Himachal Pradesh
    Region - North India
    Nearest Railway Station - Rupnagar (RPAR) - 215 KM
    Nearest Airport - Bhuntar (Kullu-Manali) (KUU) - 49 KM

If you are looking for solitude out in the wilderness, then this is where you should be heading to. Tirthan Valley is a quiet riverside retreat that lies on the banks of River Tirthan, which is a tributary of the Beas River. Perched at an altitude of over 1600 meters above the sea level, it is an adventure-centric getaway blessed with nature's wealth of treasures.

[​IMG]

Situated only around 50 KM away from Kullu, the place is surprisingly devoid of any noisy tourist activities. The lush green valley surrounded by the Himalayan mountain ranges is considered to be a trekker's paradise. Tirthan Valley brings you a host of adventure activities, including but not limited to, overnight camping, riverside bonfire, trout fishing and bird watching. It is also the base for exploring the diversified wildlife of the Great Himalayan National Park (GHNP).

How to Reach There?

Tirthan Valley can best be accessed by road. The nearest major town is Aut, which is connected to Chandigarh via NH-21. Buses are available from Aut, Kullu and Manali to take you to Tirthan Valley. If you are coming from North India, then Kullu is the prefered base to go to Tirthan Valley. You can get direct buses to Kullu from New Delhi and Chandigarh.

Tirthan Valley has no railway network. Rupnagar is the nearest railway station which has connecting trains to Delhi, Haridwar and Rishikesh. Bhuntar airport in Kullu is the nearest airport which has daily flights to New Delhi operated by Air India.

Tourist Activities at Tirthan Valley:

Tirthan Valley is a part of the Great Himalayan National Park. Wildlife is a major tourist attraction here. The place is known to house a wide variety of endemic Himalayan wildlife including Himalayan Tahr, Red Panda, Brown Bear, Snow Leopard and Clouded Leopard.

Tirthan Valley is equally popular as a trekking destination. There are several short and long distance trekking trails that offer the opportunity to experience nature from close by. Tirthan Valley to Neuli is a popular week-long trekking route. You can also set out on a hike to the famous Pin Parvati Pass from Tirthan Valley.

Another interesting tourist attraction near Tirthan Valley is the Manikaran hot spring. This hot water natural spa is famous for its medicinal properties.

To sum things up - Tirthan Valley is the perfect place to go for long walks through the forest trails by the side of the river and unwind into the wilderness of a tiny, picturesque hamlet.

Accommodation at Tirthan Valley:

The forest guest house and tourist huts run by the GHNP administration is arguably the best staying option at Tirthan Valley. Besides, there are quite a few private lodges and resorts in the Banjar area. Dev Conifers Green, Hotel Sun N Sky, Tirthan Holiday Cottages are a few of the popular private properties that offer comfortable stay. There are a number of homestays as well, which would suit the backpackers better. If you are interested in camping, then Camp Sunshine is a great choice. It is also the first eco-tourism camp of Himachal Pradesh.

2. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

Is Raju's Cottage still there? I really liked it when I stayed there on a trip in 2013 and I would love to go back. He served trout to me and my wife. The beds were a little hard, but the location was beautiful and I felt jealous. I know that when I stayed there, I had to book months in advance so I think he would still be there, but I would really love to know more.