1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tofu

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Jiggy, Feb 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jiggy

Jiggy New Member

Is tofu readily found in Indian cuisine? I don't eat meat and tofu is a main source of protein for me. I think a tofu curry would be very tasty, but I don't know if such a thing exists.

2. Maple

Maple New Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen tofu options when I've looked for Indian recipes. If that doesn't work out, though, look for paneer. It's pretty high in protein, so it would make a good substitute.

Elizabetonth likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Wow, I always thought of tofu as being somewhat relegated to Chinese/Japanese type cuisines and dishes. It wouldn't surprise me though if tofu was incorporated into Indian Style curries -- it actually would be rather tasty, I imagine, soaking up all those delicious curry flavors! Here, locally though, I've never seen tofu featured on any Indian restaurant menus.

4. Daira

Daira New Member

I agree that paneer is probably India's answer to tofu. There's a dish I get here that is paneer with chickpeas and vegetables and this delicious sauce served over rice. I love it!

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Paneer is a cheese though, right? I would just make sure that if anyone is vegan they don't go down that route - it's okay if you're vegetarian but for vegans if it's a dairy/cheese based product then that would be a no-no!

6. xTinx

xTinx Member

Well tofu is made from soy, right? Indians utilize tofu just as much the Chinese do. They have a tofu-based dish with peas and a lot of spices. I do not know how they call it, though. It seems to be famous in certain regions and less well known in other parts. Indians aren't so big on meat and they have a lot of rice dishes.

7. arthnel

arthnel Member

I don't particularly like tofu and that has prevented me from trying many tofu dishes I've come close to. I have seem curried tofu and not just in India. It is kind of international by now. I know quite a number of seventh day Adventists who enjoy this meal because they say it's flavorful while they get the vegetarian base aspect as well. It sure looked tasty to me an many occasion but I can't get past the fact it is still tofu.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yeah, it's not a favorite of mine just because of the texture - it's like jello!

9. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

I wouldn't worry, @Jiggy . I think that travelling in India is one of the best places in the world if you're a vegetarian or vegan who likes food. I'm a meat-eater when I'm based at home, but when I travel to India I don't eat meat because a) it's cheaper, b) it means there's less chance of falling ill if you're not there for very long, and c) there's no need. No need at all. There are so many vegetarian dishes in India, and there are so many delicious, delicious options. There will indeed usually be at least one paneer dish on the menu, so if you like and can eat cheese go for it, but there are also loads of dishes with lentils, so there's another good source of protein. Every time you order a thali, which is a mix of dishes that often come each in their own compartment on a special plate, and is an excellent and cheap way of getting a great meal, there'll be some daal in there. Daal is the basic and ubiquitous lentil dish that is really tasty. There are also egg curries around, if you can eat eggs, and various things with other pulses. I came back from my first trip to India having eaten so well, much healthier than I usually am, and thinking that if I could cook Indian food, I'd happily be a vegetarian.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Tofu has become common to the world because soybean is such an easy and important crop to grow. Personally, I would not recommend people to eat soy products in abundance, since they contain compounds which mimic estrogen in the human body. Eating soy and tofu has been linked to hormone imbalances, which is why I avoid it. However, when you look at ingredients lists, it is in just about everything. One more reason to cook at home rather than poison yourself with store-bought products.