1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourist Places near Hyderabad within 200 km

Discussion in 'South India' started by Surya, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Surya

Surya New Member

I am Hyderabad and would like to go go to some good place for a holiday with my family. I am not too good at organising or finding holiday destinations, which is why I have come to the forum.

I do not like driving long distances so I only restriction for finding a holiday destination is that it should be within 200km of Hyderabad.

While traveling it would be my wife and me and we have some eight days where we can spend some quality time at a destination. We do not mind going to more than one destination as long as they are not too far from each other.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Surya! I'm glad you found this forum!

You're in luck! There's a lot of places just near Hyderabad that you can visit. I'll break my list into two parts: one for places under 100 kms from Hyderabad and another for places 200 kms from Hyderabad. Let's begin:

Places Under 100 Kms from Hyderabad

1. Nalgonda - This is just about 83 kms from Hyderabad. This little town offers a lot more than you can expect. Other than temples, you can find an ancient village here with ruins of Buddhist monasteries and the forts here were quite strong in their times. And since the town is situated between two hills, trekking can also be enjoyed here. Some attractions here are:
    • Deverakonda Fort - The fort was under the control of Padma Nayaka Kings from 1287 AD to 1482 AD. Just by that length of time, you can imagine how strong this fort was. Although it is in ruins now, it's still worth the effort to see one of the strongest forts during the ancient times.
    • Bhongir Fort - This was built by Tribhuvanamalla Vikramaditya VI. Again, this is one strong fort as you would see, with how it stands on one isolated rock and its two entrances are covered with huge rocks as well.
    • Rachakonda Fort - This was built by Recherla Singama Nayak. Just trekking to reach the fort can be challenging so be prepared for that.
    • Kolanupaka Village - You can find the ruins of many temples here: Kolanupaka Jain Temple, Someswara Temple and Sri Veeranarayana Temple.
    2. Mahabubnagar - This is just 100 kms from Hyderabad. The most famous attractions here is its 700-year old Banyan Tree. However, there's more to see here:
    • Pillalamrri Archaeological Museum - You can view idols and artefacts of ancient people in here.
    • Mallelatheertham Waterfalls - This is quite a tranquil place to visit, it's a great spot for having a picnic with your family.
    • Umamaheswara Swamy Temple. -This temple dates as far back as the 2nd Century AD. This temple is dedicated to Mallikarjuna and Bhramaramba.
    • Pillalamrri Banyan Tree - This 700-year old tree is spread over 3-acres of land. There's even a boating facility in the vicinity that you can enjoy.
    Now, let's go to the second list:

Places Under 200 Kms from Hyderabad

1. Bidar - This is about 147 kms from Hyderabad. This is one of the most important pilgrimage sites for Sikhs. However, there's other attractions here as well:
    • Narasimha Jhira Cave Temple - This temple is dedicated to Lord Narsimha. The story goes that the Lord Narasimha defeated the demon Jalasura here and thus, the demon turned into water which started flowing through the feet of the Lord Narasimha. To reach the feet of the deity here, you'd have to go through waist-deep water.
    • Bahmani Tombs - These tombs house the relics of the Bahmani Sultans.
    • Bidar Fort - This fort is associated with Alauddin-Bahman Shah and is considered as one of the most stylish forts in India. You can also find the Rangin Mahal here.
    • Gurudurwara Nanak Jhira Sahib - This is dedicated to the first Sikh Guru, Nanak Devji.
    • Karez Aquaduct System - The largest aqueduct system of its kind in India.
    2. Warangal - This is about 143 kms from Hyderabad. Although this place boasts of ancient structures, you won't have a problem with accommodation options here. Some attractions here are:
    • Warangal Fort - This was built by King Ganapati Deva. This is also dubbed as the "Seat of Power" since it was invincible at its time.
    • Thousand Pillar Temple - This temple is a testament of Kakatiyan style of architecture. It has about a thousand pillars, all intricately designed and carved. The three deities presiding here are: Shiva, Surya and Vishnu.
    • Ramappa Lake - This is a manmade lake with background views of the hills. A boating facility is also available here.
    • Eturnagam Wildlife Sanctuary -This is one of the oldest and earliest sanctuaries in the country. Panthers and Tigers are usually spotted in here.
    3. Nagarjunasagar - This is about 164 kms from Hyderabad. Truly a place for nature lovers, with its natural waterfalls and beautiful landscapes. Attractions here are:
    • Nagarjunasagar Dam. This is one of the largest dams, not just in India, but in the world. Its irrigation system is also one of the oldest in India making this is a true wonder for tourists and engineering enthusiasts.
    • Ethipothala Waterfalls - Although the main attraction is the waterfalls, you can also find some caves worth exploring by its sides.
    • Rajiv Gandhi Wildlife Reserve - This is considered as the largest tiger reserve in India.
    • Nagarjunakonda Island Museum - Displays Buddhist arts and artefacts. Perhaps the most famous display here is the small tooth and earring of Buddha.
    There you go, I hope this helps! Enjoy your vacation!

3. Deven

Deven Member

Certainly! There are several delightful destinations within 200 km of Hyderabad where you can enjoy a peaceful and refreshing holiday. Here are a few options:

1. Gandikota - The Grand Canyon of India (Approx. 300 km):
    • Known for its stunning gorge formed by the Pennar River.
    • Explore the Gandikota Fort and enjoy the panoramic views.
    2. Warangal (Approx. 150 km):
    • Visit the Thousand Pillar Temple, Warangal Fort, and the iconic Ramappa Temple.
    • Explore the beautiful Kakatiya Rock Garden.
    3. Bidar (Approx. 145 km):
    • Rich in history, visit the Bidar Fort, Bahmani Tombs, and the historic Madrasa of Mahmud Gawan.
    4. Nagarjuna Sagar (Approx. 150 km):
    • Explore the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, one of the largest dams in the world.
    • Visit the Nagarjunakonda Island Museum for archaeological treasures.
    5. Basar (Approx. 190 km):
    • A pilgrimage site with the famous Saraswathi Temple.
    • Enjoy the serene surroundings and the Godavari River.
    6. Kurnool (Approx. 210 km):
    • Visit the Belum Caves, the second-longest caves in India.
    • Explore the Oravakallu Rock Garden and Konda Reddy Fort.
    7. Srisailam (Approx. 210 km):
    • Home to the Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga and the Bhramaramba Devi Temple.
    • Enjoy a boat ride in the Krishna River.
    8. Ananthagiri Hills (Approx. 80 km):
    • A serene hill station with lush greenery.
    • Visit the Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Temple and enjoy the view from the viewpoint.
    Tips:
    • Confirm the current travel guidelines and restrictions due to any ongoing situations.
    • Plan your itinerary based on your interests, whether it's historical sites, nature, or relaxation.
    These destinations offer a mix of history, nature, and tranquility, making them ideal for a family holiday. Adjust the list based on your preferences and the time you'd like to spend in each place.