1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourist Traps In India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Hyperion, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Hyperion

Hyperion New Member

I am interested in visiting India, but I know so little about the geography and places to visit. I know I could spend hours on this forum and discover the best places to go and things to do, but I am just going to start a thread about the best\must do activities\places in India?

Anywhere I should avoid? What places are tourist traps? Where is the best place for adventure? Are the people much different from place to place? Any wild beasts to be afraid of?

KenBrace likes this.

2. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 New Member

A tourist trap would probably be the Taj Mahal, if you mean 'beaten path' by 'tourist trap'. Personally, nothing beats the Ellora Caves for me. Have a look. No, no wild beasts.

3. btalivny

btalivny Member

You should look up the Golden Triangle. India's golden triangle is a tourist circuit which includes: Delhi, Agra (including the Taj Mahal), and Jaipur. These trips usually last 7 or 8 days and do the trip as a circuit starting and ending in Delhi. I am doing a similar route and I have heard good things about it.

4. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

India is huge and has so many amazing places, but it all depends on what you’re looking for. For example, if you’re into yoga and meditation then you should be visiting ashrams. But, let’s say you’re looking for adventure then you could go to Spiti or Leh and Ladakh. Or maybe you’re into haunted places like me so you should definitely visit Bhangarh or Dumas Beach.

In my case I already told you I’m into myths and legends so I will definitely visit Bhangarh, I also want to check out some of the festivals and want to go the Ganges. I’m also dying to visit Nubra Valley. I’ll probably stay in India for three or four weeks so I’ll have time to visit other places, but these three are on the top of my checklist.

5. greybird29

greybird29 New Member

A very good young lady friend of mine went to India last year as an exchange student working with young children; she absolutely loved it. While she was there she shared amazing pictures and videos that inspired my interest. The children were precious, the folks friendly and helpful, the food incredible and the landscape breathtaking. I look forward to one day having the opportunity to travel to India and see the beauty for myself.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

India is getting more and more popular as a tourist destination and obviously places like the Taj Mahal are going to be crowded no matter when you go.

India is such a big country though, and while tourism is on the increase, so aswell as the main tourist sites, you will be able to find places that aren't that popular yet but are equally as interesting.

7. DarkStarling

DarkStarling New Member

I guess I would become wary of tourist traps WHEN you know you are in a popular spot where a lot of tourist typically go, and I would avoid buying anything at these places or going to tours if they are offered to you. Some people will attempt to overcharge you, just because you are a foreigner, and I would be wary, and know the value of your money before buying things.

8. Chrisanswer

Chrisanswer New Member

Three words: The Golden Triangle. Things can get pretty ridiculous there, and personally I prefer the south where it's more laid back and less touristy. But if you want to join the tourist bandwagon, you start out in Delhi and struggle your way through crowds of people all wanting the see the same thing.

9. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

The Taj mahal is so crowded, its a Worldwide cultural icon and something that almost everyone visits on their first visit to India. I've only ever seen crowds like that when I visited Ayers rock in Australia. I found Delhi to be a lot more crowded than other places but overall I wouldn't say I've ever experienced a tourist trap as such in India. They tend to be more prevelant in Western Europeans cities in my experience.