1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Train reservation in India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Naomi_Nia, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Naomi_Nia

Naomi_Nia New Member

Hi

I want to book my train journey within India, what is the best way to reserve the train tickets? Is it better to get it done after I reach India or can I get it done from here in the US? Which one would you suggest?

Thanks

2. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

If you already have the dates then book it online on IRCTC website from where ever you are. There is a quota for foreign tourists but from what I know it costs a little more but either way it is best to book in advance. Indian railways is not like the trains in USA as ours is over loaded with traffic with long waiting lists waiting to be confirmed so sooner you book the better.

3. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

Do not get the train tickets booked from any travel agent, prefer to book it yourself from irctc.co.in website. I always book my train tickets one month in advance to ensure I get my tickets confirmed, if train seats are not available then normally it takes around a week to get the confirmed tickets but in some cases it takes a month too.