1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Essentials

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by HIraeth, Oct 30, 2015.

1. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

Packing for a trip can be a cumbersome task, especially for people who are fussy about taking as much with them as their bags can hold. My parents are the worst packers when it comes to travelling. They nearly pack half the household goods into bags and end up with 6-7 suitcases and trolleys between them. While for my mom it's usually food, for my father it's his cameras, lenses, and all the other gadgets that he thinks he will make use of on a trip!

For me, I like travelling really light. If its a 2-3 days trip, I will take only two sets of clothes, a towel, my shades, iPod, a diary and pen, some IDs, a torch, deodorant, sunscreen and an insect repellent. And of course, a camera and my phone and their respective chargers. These packed and I'm good to go.

What are things that are most essential for you when you're travelling?

2. Chrisanswer

Chrisanswer New Member

The most essential things for me when travelling are my tickets. My wife and Ii often book in advance for all the things we are going to do when travelling in India, so we usually have many tickets. We'll have all of our train tickets, hotel bookings, site seeing tours, bus tickets, plane tickets and these usually go in some form of folder or binder. I'm the planner and when we get there my wife is the one who gets us around.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Well apart from tickets passport and holiday paperwork, I guess in theory that's all you need as everything else can be bought wherever your going.

Personally, depending on how long I'm going for, I try to take just the bare essentials to be honest, and we as a family have never been ones to take 29 suitcases like you see some others do!

4. sapphire_jamie

sapphire_jamie New Member

When travelling, I like to have a book with me. It's one that I do when I get bored with taking pictures. Also, a mobile phone, a little towel shades, and water are important things to bring. When it comes to books, I like reading fictional and wholesome novels. I particulary love Regency love story novels. My love for reading books started when I was in grade school and maybe I will still love reading when I am older.

5. Amelie

Amelie New Member

I never leave home without a book too. :) I also like to travel with a backpack, so I usually just bring a change of clothes, moist towelettes, rubbing alcohol, tissues (no, I don't have a disorder, I'm just one of the unlucky people who gets sweaty and sticky easily), another pocketbook (for emergencies), pen, paper, and paracetamol for my headaches.

6. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

I like to travel light yet I must have some necessary items because I'm a clean freak. I must have hand sanitizer and moist towelettes. I don't need to much clothes just the exact amount I will need depending on how many days trip it is. My toiletry purse of curse and that's just about it.

7. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Mostly travel light and be thoughtful when selecting clothes, and keep some space for gifts.

8. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Most essential to me? Everywhere I go these are the basic things I pack but it's dependent on the climate and reason for travel really.

1. Passport, identity, credit cards and other cards if applicable.
    2. Bottled water.
    3. Fan - sometimes it gets hot.
    4. Scarf - it's multi-purpose, in Girl Scouts it can act as a bandage, headgear or whatever really.
    5. Biscuits - you'll never know where you'll get your next meal.
    6. Swiss Army Knife for obvious reasons.
    7. Cellphone and/with camera.
    8. sun screen
    9. insect repellent
    10. extra shirt
    11. sunglasses
    12. portable soap and deodorant

Chahal likes this.
  9. KCDavis

KCDavis New Member

my list contains the same essentials, but I also add in a few spare socks and a first aid kit. I don't go anywhere with out a little first aid kit. You never know what's gonna happen.

10. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

I usually carry a backpack with all my essentials when traveling it provides me with easy access when I need these tools. Things I usually take with me are my wallet, with a little cash and credit cards and identification. Another important thing to take with me is my cell phone and a spare batter or external battery charger. Toileteries are important to so I can maintain my personal hygiene. A small first aid kit with antibiotics and bandaids.

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Usually those things you cannot buy or are too expensive and hard to find. Of course you ID, Passport, Air plane tickets, accommodation proof, your meds, if you have them and any other basic home pharmacy stuff like band aids or allergy pills, mosquito bite protection, nasal sprays or digestive capsules.

12. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

You should have your passport, identity card, phone, camera, books, money, clothes you like the most to wear and other required materials.

13. Barbiebarbie73

Barbiebarbie73 New Member

I one of those people who have to pack everything just in case. I will literally unload my whole wardrobe and make it into a suitcase for holidays and end up being overweight at the baggage check in. My biggest problem is then when I go on holiday I end up doing lots of shopping & I have no room to put the stuff I need to bring back I really really need to get a check on how much I pack

14. jigisha

jigisha New Member

For me most essential is of course passport and tickets. Apart from that i feel toothbrush and paste is very important. There have been so many instances where i have heard people complaining that they have forgotten there toothbrush and toothpaste.
    And yes the rest of the important stuff like camera, carrying clothes according to the climate of the country you are visiting. A jacket for the cooler destinations and a shades and sunscreen lotion for the hotter destinations, shoes. And the rest of the things have already been covered in the above posts.