1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trek for beginners in Himalayas

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by Hiran, May 24, 2015.

1. Hiran

Hiran New Member

I have just started trekking and looking for my next trek to be in the Himalayas. The trek should either be in Himachal or Uttarakhand, some incline in elevation would be good but not a lot, I don't mind a little snow but not too much of it.
    My fitness levels are average and still working on that so please take that into consideration.

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

I would suggest to you the Rupin pass trek, this starts off in Uttarakhand and ends in Himachal. There are good chances of getting snow as well and very suitable for beginners.

3. Shik

Shik New Member

There are quite a few easy treks which you can do in Himalayas, and these are Hampta Pass trek at Manali and another being the most easiest trek is the Parashar Lake trek. There are others but you did not mention the duration of the trek, as some treks can last for 7 days, the ones I have mentioned are 4 days for the first trek (Hampta Pass) and 2 days for the second trek (Parashar Lake).

4. Hiran

Hiran New Member

Yes I heard of Parashar Lake it is supposed to be one of the easiest treks in the Himalayas. Regarding the duration of the trek I would like it to be no more than 4 days.
    Thanks Dhruv.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I will not go to the Himalayas for trekking but I want to see the mountain range, at least even if I go to the foot of the mountains. As I had posted in another thread, Mt. Everest is a big wonder to me since I was in grade school. And later on I couldn't forget when I read about Edmund Hillary's first climb together with the sherpah Tenzing Norgay. Maybe I can take a selfie in the Himalayas when I go to India.

6. DevilKid

DevilKid New Member

I have been researching the same thing recently! Actually, I am just like you. I have been wanting to go to a trek in the Himalayas but I am not a really fit guy (nor have I done many treks before). When I started looking, I came across a trek in the Sikkim area called the Dzongri trek which is organized by a company and they give you a guide alongside and provide all the tents and food materials. The trek I found (can be found on Google with a simple search for the name) was for about 5 days with everything supplied. When I contacted them, they gave me a price of 5,000 rupees per family per day.

I am planning to do the Dzongri Trek later this year (most likely December) and will be trying to raise some money for a charity organization while doing it. Hope it works out :p :)

7. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

There’s the Everest Base camp, I did it last year with my family and it was amazing. You really get used to the altitude, and of course you’re not going all the way up, so you don’t require great athleticism. I’m a big trekking and hiking fan and I do want adventure and want to challenge myself.

The Himalayas has so many amazing treks, and you should really consider doing at least one in your life. I can’t explain the sensation you have when you finally reach your goal. It’s amazing and everyone in this world should be lucky enough to feel this at least once.

Chahal likes this.
  8. harpazo22

harpazo22 New Member

You really will just have to do some online searching for what will work best for you. The walking isn't difficult, but staying healthy is hard while hiking. You have to be cautious about going up too because everyone's bodily reactions are different when they reach higher altitudes.
    The summer monsoon is heavier in the eastern Himalayas than it is in the west, so the most popular trekking periods are April and October. The sky is clearer in the fall, but colder too, but that's when Everest and other popular treks are at their busiest. The most popular hiking areas have travel lodges to stay in too. So that helps! I'm getting excited just talking about it, because it's so breathtakingly beautiful in the Himalayas. Good luck to you and I hope you have an awesome time.

Chahal likes this.
  9. glockman

glockman New Member

The Himalayas are an interesting idea. In fact thats the best idea I've heard all day. I've tried several other venues but never in Asia. I often wonder how much the snow and altitude would affect my trekking performance.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not into trekking or anything like that, I prefer my comforts too much, but even the so called easy trails I would have thought would be quite challenging in the Himalayas for a novice?

11. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I did the Dzongri Trek back in 2009, like you, I'm only of average fitness but I found it slow-paced and easy to accomplish. You will have a great time, the guide we had was one of the most entertaining human beings I have ever met, he made sure that we were happy about every little thing. If anyone made the slightest comment about anything not being perfect, he would ensure that he did something to improve it. It was a wonderful journey and you have brought the memories flooding back. Have a great time and I wish I was going with you.

Chahal and DevilKid like this.
  12. DevilKid

DevilKid New Member

That is really cool! Do you mind sending me a PM with the number or some information regarding the guide who took you along? I still haven't finalised the details of this trip and I would rather go with a guide that I have heard good reviews about. The only part of this trek which I think is going to be tough is the first day where you have to climb a lot. How was that experience for you?

Chahal likes this.
  13. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

This is a cool thread, I came here looking for information on treks in the Himalayas which can be done solo. I eventually would like to do enough treks so one day I can aim for Mt Everest. I know a few people who have trekked with Youth Hostel, I think they did the Sar pass trek but I am not interested in organised treks.

Chahal likes this.
  14. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

Its not that strenuous to be honest, its energetic and you will be ready to sleep at the end of the first day, but if I can do it, I guarantee you won't have any problems. I'm sorry but I don't remember the guides full name, his first name was Ranj (Ranjit?), but unfortunately thats all I can remember. The whole package was booked through Yaknyeti, I've just checked and they have a good website, just google 'Yaknyeti' and you will find it. Others have told me that they were unable to book a guide through them but it was no problem when I did it. Give them a call or drop them an email, you might get lucky and if not they should be able to point you in the direction of a good guide.

DevilKid and Chahal like this.
  15. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

I definitely envy you. One thing I am not good at is trekking. Probably because I have four knee surgeries (and counting!).

I used to be really big into rucksacking, but after so many years of it... Your body definitely lets you know it's time to stop. (Especially the Himalayas! Bless your heart!)

16. xeylonfm

xeylonfm New Member

To a seasoned trekker, the Himalayas feels like the ultimate climb, of course due to the maximum height you can find earth. However due to the height, I know the air tend to be very thin and one could begin bleeding from the nose or something even worse. [Nepalese and Tibetans are quite naturally endowed here. Good for them]. Another thing that keeps me barred from the Himalayas is the fault lines around the mountain area. The recent Nepalese earthquake was a good manifestation and there were several avalanches and landslides in some sections of the Himalayas. What do the people who have attempted the summit have to say about all this before I can set for the Himalayas? I would wish to be up there.

17. Dune Dude

Dune Dude New Member

I don't know if I would want to be a 'beginner' in the Himalayas. Although that may be a dream for some, I believe that one takes some advanced skills that I'm not sure I'm capable of.

18. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

If like to go trekking around the world if I had a chance and see the world. Adventures like this is what I like doing being in nature is really therapeutic for me and hiking is a passion. Trekking in the Himalayas can be fun and an awesome experience but it also can be a dangerous one so the most important thing to consider is safety.

19. Malibu

Malibu New Member

I haven't been to the Himalayas, but I did climb Mount Kinabalu in Borneo and believe me, it is such an amazing feeling! I can't wait to visit the Himalayas even if I don't climb to the top :)

20. Dune Dude

Dune Dude New Member

You should, by all means, do as much as you can while you are still young. When you get older, you will only regret all of the things you could have done but didn't.

21. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

You will be climbing high-altitude mountains so the first thing you should do is prepare your body for the climb. You have to be physically fit to complete the ascent and descent. Training is the key here. Run, jog, go to the gym, or do whatever you need to do to ensure that you are in top condition when you finally begin your ascent. And of course, make sure that you have all the necessary hiking equipment and accessories with you. Always remember that you will be hiking through thick snow, sharp rocks, and steep cliffs.

22. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Hiran! Welcome to the forum!

Here are some appropriate trekking routes for beginners in the Himachal:
    • Hampta Pass - This is considered as one of the easiest treks in the Himalayas region. It is about 4,270 metres above sea level. Despite the relative easiness of the trek, it doesn't disappoint on the sceneries along the way. You'll see waterfalls, lakes, meadows, valleys, green pastures and lush greenery in this trek. You can finish the trek in 4 to 7 days. But it can be finished as early as four days. The trek is best done from May & June and August to October. You can also see snow during this trek. The route taken is: Manali > Chika > Balu Ka Ghera > Siagoru > Hampta Pass > Sigaoru > Chatru > Chandratal > Manali.
    • Kasol - Malana Trek - This is in the Kullu District of Himachal Pradesh. The trek is fairly easy and can be completed in 5 days. You get to see the views of Dhouladhar Range, Parvati Valley and Malana Valley along the way. You also get to see the Greek Town of Malana, with about 1,500 inhabitants with a very unique culture. The best months for this trek are between April to October. The route taken is: Manali > Naggar > Rumsu > Chanderkhani Pass > Malana > Rashol Pass and Village > Kasol > Manikaran > Manali.
    • Kedarkantha Trek - This is a great introductory trek for beginners who want to experience snow. This trek is in the Uttarkashi District of Uttarakhand. This is about 2,500 metres above sea level. The best months for this trek are from December to April. The trek itself isn't too difficult as long as you have skid-proof shoes. The main challenge is the cold weather and of course, the ascent. That's why the days are divided into five days to allow proper acclimatisation to occur. The route taken is: Juda Tal > Kedarkantha > Hargaon > Sankri.

Then, here are some appropriate trekking routes for beginners in Uttarkhand:
    • Valley of Flowers - This is located in the Chamoli District of Uttarakhand. The trek to reach the Valley of Flowers is about 17 kms. It is about 4,572 metres above sea level. You can see the blue Primula in the valley once you reach it. En route to the valley, you'll be greeted by snow-clad mountains, glaciers and lakes. It's an easy trek and can be completed in about 6 days. The route taken is: Govind Ghat > Ghangaria > Hemkund > Valley of Flowers > Ghangaria > Govind Ghat.
    • Kuari Pass Trek - The Kuari Pass is in the Garhwal Region of Uttarakhand. You can complete this trek in about 6 days. Mount Nanda Devi is visible all throughout this trek. You would also be exposed to different types of forests throughout the trek. You can also view the Dronagiri, Chaukhamba, Hathi Parbat, Mana and Kamet Ranges on a clear day. The route taken is: Chitrakhana > Tali Top > Kuari Pass > Tali Top > Chitrakhana.
    • Pindari Glacier Trek - This is situated in the Kumaon Region of Uttarakhand. It is situated at about 3,900 metres above sea level. The trek can be completed in 9 to 12 days. It is best done during the months of May to October. This trek is suitable for beginners as it's very easy as well. The route taken is: Loharkhet > Dhakuri > Khati > Dwali > Phurkia > Pindari Glacier > Phurkia > Dwali > Khati > Dhakuri > Loharkhet.

I hope this helps!

23. melanie

melanie New Member

Oh wow! This sounds fantastic! I would love to trek in the Himalayas -- seriously it's been my lifelong dream. I don't know much about treks within India, but I hear Nepal is breathtaking. I would personally love to do the Annapurna circuit and maybe even see Everest. I wouldn't mind climbing it, but I don't think I have the endurance (or the survival skills.)

I recommend looking into the Annapurna circuit. Beautiful!

24. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I think that it is important to do research and see how much you need before going on this trip and see if you can get a deal as you may save more money if going on a group then going on your own when going for a trek in the Himalayas, I have seen photos and videos of the place and looks amazing and would be nice to go for a hike in this place which looks beautiful. I reckon that it is important to have good fitness as some of these treks can require you to move up hills and it is important to see which one is going to work out for you and see what the other people in your group think so that you have an idea of which ones to do and need to budget as well when doing this sort of travel. I think that it is nice to have a good view of nature and taking photos can make you remember the journey and also being with people you know can make the experience more enjoyable in the process as you chat and eat together and can go new places when travelling to the place.

25. djtravels

djtravels Member

This is an old question and already it has a lot of good answers. However, I would like to provide my two cents on the topic. In terms of access to locations, trekking equipment, training, and infrastructure, nothing beats Manali. There are a lot of shorter treks around Manali that can be used as a training ground for beginners. And once you feel comfortable, you can easily bump yourself up to the longer treks such as the one for Malana. Also, you may wish to contact the mountaineering institute their and sign up for one of their programs. Its the best institute of its kind in India and probably the world.