1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trip To Ujjain And Omkareshwar

Discussion in 'Madhya Pradesh' started by Arnav, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Arnav

Arnav New Member

I am planning a trip to Ujjain and Omkareshwar and would like some advice for this trip.
    I haven't been to Madhya Pradesh ever and going to this area is very new for me, so I need some help in planning this trip.

I would like to know what the distance between Ujjain and Omkareshwar is?

Is it possible to visit both of these places in 2 days?

What places are there to see in Ujjain and Omkareshwar?

2. Karan

Karan Member

The distance between Ujjain and Omkareshwar is approximately 135 kilometers (84 miles). The travel time by road is around 3 hours and 30 minutes.

It is possible to visit both places on both days but it all depends on what you plan to do and see. It would also mean that you need to start early in the day to cover at least 2-3 places in each destination.

Places to see in Ujjain

• Mahakaleshwar Temple: This is the most important temple in Ujjain and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is a Jyotirlinga, which is one of the 12 most sacred shrines of Shiva in India.
    • Ujjain City Palace: This palace was built by the Holkar rulers in the 18th century. It is now a museum that houses a collection of paintings, sculptures, and other artifacts.
    • Gandhi Sagar Lake: This artificial lake was built in the 19th century. It is a popular spot for boating, swimming, and picnicking.
    • Kaliadeh Palace: This palace was built by the Parmar rulers in the 11th century. It is now in ruins, but it is still an impressive sight.
    • Jantar Mantar: This is an astronomical observatory that was built by Maharaja Jai Singh II in the 18th century. It is one of the five surviving observatories that he built.
    • Bhartrihari Caves: These caves are located on a hill overlooking Ujjain. They are believed to have been inhabited by the sage Bhartrihari in the 7th century.
    • Ram Ghat: This ghat is located on the banks of the Shipra River. It is a popular spot for pilgrims to take a holy dip in the river.
    • Ujjain Museum: This museum houses a collection of archaeological artifacts, including sculptures, coins, and jewelry.

Places to see in Omkareshwar

• Omkareshwar Temple: This is the main attraction in Omkareshwar and is a Jyotirlinga, one of the 12 most sacred shrines of Shiva in India. It is located on Mandhata Island, which is in the middle of the Narmada River.
    • Mandhata Island: This island is where the Omkareshwar Temple is located and is a popular spot for pilgrims and tourists. It is also a great place for boating, swimming, and bird watching.
    • Narmada River: The Narmada River is a sacred river in India and is believed to have healing powers. It is a popular spot for pilgrims to take a holy dip in the river.
    • Omkareshwar Parikrama: This is a 13-kilometer (8-mile) pilgrimage route that takes you around the island of Mandhata. It is a great way to see the island and the surrounding countryside.
    • Kajal Rani Caves: These caves are located on a hill overlooking Omkareshwar. They are believed to have been inhabited by the sage Kajal Rani in the 7th century.
    • Gauri Shankar Temple: This temple is located on the banks of the Narmada River. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Parvati.
    • Ram Ghat: This ghat is located on the banks of the Narmada River. It is a popular spot for pilgrims to take a holy dip in the river.