1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Elephant Experience

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Off the cuff, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Off the cuff

Off the cuff New Member

Someone told me that it is possible to snorkel with elephants. It sounds amazing, but when I tried to find some more details I found some blog posts saying it is still possible and others saying that the elephants are all retired. If anyone knows the truth I'd love to know.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think you're referring to Rajan, Andaman's swimming elephant. In fact, he is the only swimming elephant alive as of today. Initially, there were many elephants of his kind. They were trained to swim so that they can carry logs from one island to another. There were about 10 of them, during the early 70's. Since logging was eventually banned in the region, Rajan along with his other elephant friends, were out of job. Now, Rajan is the only one alive out of all of them and he can be seen wandering around Havelock Island.

Rajan and his owner Mahout has been together for around 30 years already. Now, Rajan only swims when he feels like it. I don't think tourists can swim with him anymore. But you can still bathe him or play with him if ever you're in the island. Right now, he is with his owner already. He was supposed to be sold off a temple in Kerala. Barefoot (A resort in Havelock) paid the money to let Rajan stay in Havelock.

And even though he still has work 10 days of the year at the most, at least he still enjoys his favourite leisurely walks around the island. It's just right that this majestic creature be retired especially after all that he've been through. If you're lucky, he might be in the mood to swim when you see him. However, just being able to see the last swimming elephant on Earth is an experience in itself.

I hope this helps!