1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Useless Items

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Elaine, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Elaine

Elaine Member

What has been the most useless things that you have ever carried around with you while traveling to India? I am looking for different opinions in order to make a list.

2. Ted

Ted New Member

Mine was carrying around a huge pair of hiking shoes that I have not needed at all. They were so heavy to take with me everywhere and I almost threw them away.

3. Neve

Neve New Member

In my case, as I love reading, I carried so many books with me when I went to Indonesia, and I ended up not having enough time to read. So they were too heavy.

4. Aidan

Aidan New Member

My most useless thing to carry last year was a rain proof coat; only to find out that it was the dry season. I had the wrong information about the weather.

5. Arianne

Arianne Member

I think everyone ends up with something useless that they bring with them and don't end up needing or using. I tend to over pack clothing and then don't use what I've packed. I've learned to pack basic necessities and not bring something new to wear every day. Leaves more room in the luggage to bring souvenirs back.

6. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Once my visit to chhattisgarh I have taken a dairy and a pen to write my experience, but unable to do so because of no time.

7. Dina

Dina New Member

I used to carry a torch to make sure that I can see properly in case the lights went out - but that has never happened anywhere I have traveled. There has been an uninterrupted supply of electricity everywhere I have been so far.

8. grace

grace New Member

I tend to pack minimally so I don't bring anything I don't need. The last two times I've gone anywhere I brought a mini first aid kit and didn't end up needing it. The flashlight or torch is a good idea and you know that the next time you don't take it you will probably need it.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I wouldn't say anything I pack is useless, but often I pack way too many outfits to wear. I seem to try and plan for any occasion with clothing only to find most of them are unnecessary!

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

My girlfriend would probably have said me. But in all actuality, we traveled light, so we didn't have much useless stuff when went to India. I think my cashiers checks were unnecessary, since I really did not feel at risk of theft. I know it is always a concern, but we were smart with how we acted and had our own guide with us when we went out and about. The checks gave me peace of mind, but were ultimately unneeded.

I would say that a lot of this has to do with where you go and what you want to achieve. Someone mentioned bringing hiking boots, but I took a pair because I went up North, into the foothills. I wouldn't have made it out of the car in my loafers. My GF brought her water bottle, which I thought was silly, but it worked out well for her because it strapped so easily to her backpack.

Honestly, the most useless thing to bring is a preconceived notion. India surprises you. For a man born and raised in the US, India was the most diverse and fascinating destination I have ever visited. We have an idea that a country is a monolithic entity, yet really, in the case of India, it is hundreds of unique cultures, places, landmarks, all drastically different from what you could imagine. Go there expecting to be blown away.