1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vaishno Devi visit in July

Discussion in 'North India' started by Karisma, May 20, 2016.

1. Karisma

Karisma New Member

Everyone knows that July is a time when monsoons have started and most people avoid going to hill stations or any hilly area, but July is the only time I can take some time off and visit Vaishno Devi, which I have been longing to go for, and it is why I have asked for some time off from work too.

How bad or good of a decision is it for the Vaishno Devi visit in July?

Do you think there would be any major issues if I go in July?

Are there any other people who go in July to Vaishno Devi?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It rains every now and then but there are plenty of shelters along the way so it is not too bad. You will find a lot of families if you go in the first week but after the first week schools open and the number of visitors come down making it a more relaxed affair.

Small land slides or some stones rolling down the hills are a common sight.

Vaishno devi is a busy place all around the year but as I said if you avoid the first week of July you will see less crowds.

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

I am going to Vaishno Devi in the last week of June, and from the seat availability status which mostly WL in all the trains, I could guess how much rush I will see...
    July would be much better, Kids in schools, parents in office and your family in Vaishno Devi ;)

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

It depends on what part of July you're going.

During the late weeks of July, the roads leading to the Vaishno Devi can be slippery. However, it's still best to rely on local weather reports on the day of your trip. The good thing about visiting during the middle of July or later is that there's not as much tourists or devotees, as compared to other months. Like I said, roads can be slippery and muddy, especially if there's rainfall for that day.

As what has been stated, from May to June, sometimes up to early July, this is the peak tourist season. If you'd schedule your journey during the early week of July, you might still encounter this huge flock of tourists and devotees to the Vaishno Devi.

Here's a little breakdown of the peak tourist seasons in the Vaishno Devi:
    • March and April or the Navratra Festival
    • May, June and July or the Summer Season
    • New Year
    So from these, the peak tourist months are from March to June and from December to January. However, that's not to say that the remaining months don't have tourists, they just have lesser crowds than usual. Generally, the Vaishno Devi is visited all-year round by pilgrims and tourists alike.

So first of all, July is considered as part of the monsoon season. The region receives moderate to heavy rainfall. The monsoon season persists until the month of September. Temperatures range between 29°C to 34°C in Katra. Other higher altitude regions have colder temperatures than Katra.

Major issues or problems you might encounter are the slippery roads and landslides. Most especially with heavy rains, this can trigger landslides to the roads leading to Vaishno Devi. Road blockages can also happen if landslides occur.

It's still best to check for the local weather reports and see if there's heavy rain for that day. Postpone your journey in any sign that the rain can be harsh. Always abide by the rules and regulation set by the authorities. If they don't allow pilgrimages for the day because of the rain, it's only for your safety.

If you come from a tropical region, then you might also encounter some issues with the weather and temperature. It's best to bring some jackets and light woollens so you're prepared. Also, bring your umbrella and other rain essentials. Shoes with good grip are also recommended as the roads can be harder to traverse with rain and mud.

There are people going to the Vaishno Devi even during the month of July. To better have an estimate of the number of people going during your journey, you can go to the website of Vaishno Devi and create an account there. After which, you can check the pattern of pilgrims. If it's at 15,000 to 18,000 per day, it's not much and you can enjoy your journey to the Vaishno Devi. As you can see, that is the usual number of pilgrims that go to the Vaishno Devi during off-peak season.

I hope this helps.

:)

Chahal likes this.