1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victoria Memorial Kolkata

Discussion in 'East India' started by Kavita, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kavita

Kavita New Member

I will be in Kolkata for a 3-day trip, like any other person who travels to a new city I too will go sight seeing. One landmark I have on my list is the Victoria Memorial. I have not made any final decisions to visit this place or not as I don't know much about it.

So far all I know it is a building and if I am right it is more like a museum now. I don't know whether it would be worth visiting the memorial or not, so would like some reviews about the place. I am not too much into history but don't mind getting some knowledge when its given or available.

I believe there is some light show at the memorial, is that correct? If yes, then please provide some details.

2. KK

KK Member

As you are in Kolkata, it would be worth the visit. Yes, Victoria Memorial is more like a museum and showcases the connection between Kolkata and the British and like you said if you don't mind gaining a bit of history then you should by all means visit the place.

Yes, there is a light show in the evening, which should not be missed.

Please note that the Victoria Memorial is closed on Monday's.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Victoria Memorial was built in between the years of 1906 and 1921. It was built to commemorate the rule of the British Empire in the country. It was Lord Curzon who planned the building of this monument. But the actual architect and designer was Sir William Emerson. From the monument/building, it's clear that it is a combination of both Mughal and British architectural styles. The use of white Makrana marbles led to the pure beauty and allure of the building. Although it was first started building in 1906, it was only inaugurated years later, in 1921, dedicated to the Queen Victoria.

It was said that millions of money were used to build the memorial. All of these though were voluntarily given by many British Raj, Indian states and even many Indian princes. It stands at about 338 feet by 228 feet and has a height of 184 feet. Some contributions by Lord Redesdale, David Prain and Vincent Esch are also added into the garden design. In 1947, additional designs were added into the monument, after India gained independence from the British.

Now, the Victoria Memorial is a popular tourist attraction in Kolkata. You can find about 25 galleries in here. One of which is the Royal Gallery, showcasing portraits of the Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Although the paintings are just copies of the original, they're still beautiful and worth seeing. A newer gallery called the Calcutta Gallery was also added thereafter. It showcases the history of Kolkata which is only right as the memorial is in that region.

Yes, there is a light and sound show. Timings differ though:
    • From October to February - 6:15 pm to 7:00 pm (Bengal) and 7:15 pm to 8:00 pm (English)
    • From March to June - 6:45 pm to 7:30 pm (Bengal) and 7:45 to 8:30 pm (English)
    There are no shows during: Mondays, National Holidays, Holi and from July to September. Ticket rates are: Rs. 10 and Rs. 20.

Other schedules and fees:
    • Victoria Memorial Garden. 5:30 am to 6:15 pm at Rs. 10 per person.
    • Victoria Memorial Gallery. 10:00 am to 5:00 pm at Rs. 20 for Indians and Rs. 200 for foreigners.
    I hope this helps!

4. Shiv

Shiv Member

From some personal experience, I would suggest you should visit the Victoria Memorial. The reason I say this is because I went to a destination, and there were quite a few places which I did not visit as I thought it is a boring place to visit and of no interest to me. But it wasn't until later I returned home I was told by a few that I should have visited those places. You hardly get a second chance to go to the same destination again, so you might as well make the most of it, especially if there is a light show there, it must be something worth seeing.

5. This sounds like a really fascinating prospect to me. I grew up reading books like A Little Princess and The Secret Garden which had heroines who spent some of their childhood in India during the age when Britain had colonies there. If I visit this region, it will definitely have to go on my "must see" list.