1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visa for Irish citizen but traveling from different destination

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by dane, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dane

dane New Member

Hey,

so I'm an Irish citizen, in SE Asia at the moment but hoping to go to India for a few months, anyone got an advice for how best to get a visa which will allow me stay a few months? will it be more difficult if I'm doing this in SE Asia?
    Is it cheaper if I use land crossing maybe?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

India has a sort of a visa on arrival for foreigners. I say sort of, since you would still need to apply online before you can claim your visa on arrival on one of the major airports in India. Your home country, Ireland, is included in the list of countries eligible for e-Tourist Visa or the Visa on Arrival option. Now, I don't know what Asian country you're from, but there's also a many eligible Asian countries on the list.

With the e-Tourist Visa, you just need to go to the Indian Embassy website and fill in the application form. Once you do that, pay the fees via credit card or debit card. Your eTV will be sent to you via email and then you can print this. Bring this with you on your flight to India. And then, from the airport you just need to pass the eTV to obtain your visa. You would also need the requirements below to be passed once you arrive on the airport.

From what I've read, you can still apply for an Indian Visa despite being in another country, different from your home country. They probably would just give you a 3 or 4 months visa though. Here are the requirements you would need:
    • Your Irish passport
    • Passport photos
    • Printed forms from Indian Embassy site (All filled up)
    • Photocopies of your Irish passport and other passport from Asia
    • Photocopy of entry stamp
    • Hotel booking proof
    Pass these requirements on the nearest Indian Embassy near you. Then, you'd have to pay the fee as well. After that, just wait for your Indian Visa to arrive.

I think it can be more complicated by land crossing. It's safer to just get your visa in advance. Like I said, it's not entirely visa on arrival even if they call it that. You still need to apply online before obtaining your visa in person. Anyway, it's very easy anyway to apply for a visa even if you're in a foreign country. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.

3. dane

dane New Member

Thanks so much, this is very detailed information. If I can get it done before hand then go by land crossing that would be fantastic, getting see Myanmar while also making the journey to India would be such an experience.

briannagodess likes this.