1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visiting Himachal, J & K During December

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Ashwin Mahesh, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

I have been to Himachal, Leh, Ladakh, Kashmir during the months of June, July but I have never been there during the winter season when the roads are closed. What is it like visiting those places during winter and what transportation options are available? I will be travelling solo.

2. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

I haven't received a single response on this topic, so it does sound like a bad idea to visit these places during winter.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk

3. DarkStarling

DarkStarling New Member

Well, I have never been there myself in the winter, but I have had friends that were and it didn't seem to be a great problem. I don't know how they got there, but it I just googled it and it didn't seem like there was a big problem in getting where you wanted. If you love snow, skiing I would still recommend it without having been there myself. Another bonus is that there is a lot less tourist travelling in India in general, so I would imagine that those destinations will be a lot less crowded.

Ashwin Mahesh likes this.
  4. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

Well it is good to hear that there are other travellers who have visited the place during winter, I am specifically looking for people who have travelled by road from say Delhi to Himachal (Manali, Shimla) onwards to Leh during winter. From the little research I have done the roads are closed during that time so it is not feasible do it but if anyone has a different view point, I would love to hear it.

5. debilechat

debilechat New Member

It depends on if the snows come early or not. I lived in Himachal over winter and we had no trouble travelling from Palampur higher in the mountains up to McLeod Ganj but it might be a little tricky farther north!

I would guess that travelling within Himachal would be fine but any further north could be dangerous.

6. urban-nomad

urban-nomad New Member

hi ashwin
    i am travelling to leh in the last week of dec. I have done it in summers a few times and really wanting to see how the winters are. I have driven to leh before but you can be rest assured that the roads will definitely be closed for all traffic in december and you will have to fly in. The best time to visit leh is of course the summers but if you are adventurous enough to brave out -20 degrees temp...than it could be a real treat. I am going to fnd out soon too hahaha.

Chahal likes this.
  7. oneself

oneself New Member

It is not advisable to travel to Himachal, Leh, Ladakh, Kashmir or the like places during winter as you will face constraints in transportation also the beauty of these places is only during the summer months when the snow actually melts and you can see the valleys and the waterfalls.