1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding Detectives In India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gabydi, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Someone told me that there are wedding detectives in India. According to my source there are companies that sell this service. Apparently when someone is about to get married their family hires a wedding detective to find out if it’s true that they come from a good and respectable family or to know a little more about their past love life.

I find this really amusing, but would like to know if it’s true.

Chahal likes this.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I must admit that I haven't heard of that before but it wouldn't surprise me if that did happen though.

These days people are always checking up on each other for various reasons, so I guess if your going to get married to a person, your going to want to know what they're like.

I'm not sure going so far as hiring a detective isn't a bit extreme though!

Gabydi likes this.

3. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Ha, ha! I'm not sure if what they told me is true or not. If you live in India and haven't heard about this then maybe isn't true, but the person who told me assured me this was very common over there. I find this amusing and interesting, and would love to know about someone who has hired a wedding detective ot at least that knows a good story about this. This is just fun. If you find out something, please share it ok?

4. ilivetofly

ilivetofly New Member

I think this would be a thing but I have never heard of it. I think an employable detective would only be used with some very high profile marriages where the families involved have a lot to lose. In the case of family ran businesses then I can see this being a practice to safeguard all parties involved.

5. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

It is a thing, but they are not really called wedding detectives! They can be religious community leaders or even a relative who wants to know if a persons intentions are good before a marriage. This is usually the case with a love marriage because sometimes they are not as common as an arranged marriage and a family wants to protect their child and their assets.

6. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Oh, ok, so it is in part true! How cute! Now, tell me something. Are most weddings in India arranged? I kind of had the idea that this was like a thing of the past, but maybe they still arrange marriages today. Whoe arranages the marriage? Their parents? I'm really interested in all this topic.

7. rollybooz

rollybooz New Member

This is really interesting! It is just fascinating to see how cultures differ across continents and borders =) @Gabydi, arranged weddings in India are quite common, where the mother of the male often chooses his bride for him. This is often done by discussion with the females mother. So I guess in this sense, the mothers call the shots. It is really different from how marriages are conducted in other parts of the world but I guess this is of cultural significance and uniqueness to this part of the world, where old traditions and practices perfectly blends with modernisation and development!

Gabydi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I guess I can see the reasoning behind it, I'm still not convinced that getting a background check, which is basically what your doing, is the right way to start a relationship off.

If it's common and everybody does it then it won't be as bad, but if not, and you find out that your maybe future partner as been checking up on your background you might feel a bit offended, well, I think I would anyway...

9. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I have read that this is usually done by people who have a gut feeling on their partner and need to see if they are trustworthy and the article was called "In India if you think you've found Mr Right call the detectives" and one guy who runs the agency charges from $300 to $2,000 depending on the time and what is required by the client. It is interesting as some people claim to be earning a big amount, but are really just trying to pretend they earn a lot and just are low income to middle income earners and lie on the profiles in most cases. I reckon this could be a good way to finding the history of the person and also it will be good to know how they deal with others, like the maids and servants as that can tell a lot about the character of the person and what they are like with other people.

Gabydi likes this.
  10. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

Before I married my Indian-born wife, I had to meet her parents back home in India. As she came from a good family it would be fair to say that they asked me about every single aspect of my life, my past, my business activities and my financial status. In part this was because I had been born in England, and even though my Indian mother was known to my wifes family, they still made sure that I would be a good husband before they gave my wife permission to marry me. In my case, we were to live in England so its understandable that her family would want to make sure that she would have a good life in a foreign country. I never minded, it was a good opportunity to get to know my wifes family and it showed that they were a kind and decent family to me as well.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I can see the reasoning behind it as I think a lot of people these days try to hide a dodgy past or try and pretend to be something they're not, but at the same time I think relationships are built on trust and hiring somebody to make sure a future partner isn't lying seems to say you don't trust them right from the start.

12. innaf93

innaf93 Member