1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy in India?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by ccc, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ccc

ccc New Member

Hi

I'm going my first time to India (Calcutta and Sikkim).
    What to buy in India?
    I would like to buy a good kind of tee, saffron and some indian spices.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I would suggest buying loads of herbs that cost a bomb in western countries and are very cheap here. Ashwagandha tablets from Himalaya pharma cost about $2 for 60 tablets and in Europe same thing costs $15+ for 60 tablets and same for Brahmi tablets and other products so if you use ayurvedic herbs it makes a lot of sense to buy a years supply.

You can buy exotic teas at Kolkata in one of the whole sale markets or from Darjeeling if you are planning to go there. Saffron is a Kashmiri product and it costs more or less the same in Europe and India but what makes it to Europe goes through strict controls and is batch tested for adulteration and other problems but if you do choose to buy Saffron in India buy it from Amazon and get it delivered at the hotel you stay at using cash on delivery.

We have a thread on our forum about different souvenirs you can buy in India.

3. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

Ever since Amazon and Flipkart came into being I compare prices of local things in India with prices back home and if buying in India is justified I would buy it. Herbs are an excellent choice if your country allows then in checked baggage. Australia probably doesnt but I am allowed to bring back tablets into USA. Ashwagandha is a good adaptogen and I buy them from India every time I visit. Ashwagandha is like genseng which helps manage stress besides other things.