1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Train Classes Are Worth The Cost?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jnorth88, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Recently, there was a great breakdown of the classes available on the trains, but I still don't know which ones are worth the cost. I have bought the first class tickets before, and found that to be good service, but others might want to know which class is the most economical and which offers the best bang for their buck. So, does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone give a review of what is worth it? I am sure this depends a lot on the line, itself, since they all differ broadly.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Train classes in India can get overwhelming especially for foreigners. But for starters, here's a classification of train classes with their corresponding descriptions:

First Class (AC 1 or First AC)

• It has its own lockable door, four bunks of bed which change to seats for daytime use and has beddings as well.
    • It has its own reading light and power connection.
    • It has very clean and well-maintained bathrooms.
    • It has slightly tinted windows.
    • It has air conditioner.
    • It is the most expensive class.
    AC 2 Tier or 2 AC
    • It doesn't have its own lockable door but has a curtain.
    • It has four bunks of bed which change to seats for daytime use and has beddings as well.
    • It has its own reading light and power connection.
    • It has very clean and well-maintained bathrooms.
    • It is more affordable than the first class.
    AC 3 Tier or 3 AC
    • No lockable door or curtains.
    • It has 3 x 2 seats that converts to beds and has beddings too.
    • It has its own power connection.
    • It has clean bathrooms although it depends on how others use it as well.
    • It is the most affordable out of all the AC options.
    Sleeper
    • Non airconditioned.
    • It has 3 x 2 seating that converts to beds as well but no beddings are provided.
    • Bathrooms can be a bit dirty at times.
    • It offers great views though of the journey.
    AC Chair (CC)
    • Airconditioned.
    • Seats much like in an airplane.
    • Preferred by businessmen.
    • Has charging ports.
    Non AC Chair (SS)
    • Non airconditioned.
    • More cramped seats.
    • No charging ports.
    • Bathrooms can be messy.
    Unreserved
    • Non-padded or wooden seats.
    • Pushing and shoving is very common.
    • For daily commuters on a tight budget.
    For long travels, I think first class is worth it. It has the most comfortable and convenient setup. AC 2 is good as well for long travels since they don't have much difference anyway. For shorter routes, I'm fine with an AC chair. I do think the unreserved class is worth experiencing at least even once in your life. But don't go alone, especially if you are a woman.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I have to say that I was not really even aware that there were so many differences between the classes. When we were there we were always i such a rush to just get our tickets that we would take whatever ones that we could get, which I am assuming were more of the lower class ones because they were never really all that nice. There was a lot of options though, it did seem like, so that is always welcome news.