1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to place luggage on Indian trains

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by logan78, Jan 11, 2015.

1. logan78

logan78 New Member

I am merely questioning where I shall lay my bags while sleeping in AC 2 tier or AC 3 tier coach of Indian railways. From what I know there is no separate locker or luggage compartments in AC 2 tier and AC 3 tier coaches and it is available in AC 1 only, is that right?

I will be on a long journey in train so is there any possibility that I can get some fresh air or anywhere to walk around in the morning?

2. Bholae Nath

Bholae Nath New Member

While traveling in train remember to carry your cards, passport and other important papers in a small handbag, for your luggage there are chains hanging under the bench where you can lock your luggage (remember to carry your own lock). I usually don't carry heavy luggage so mostly I prefer to use my backpack as my pillow while I sleep. However, while traveling in AC 2 tier or AC 3 tier, prefer to exchange smiles and some talks with the family sitting in your cabin, be friends with them and they will look after your stuff while you are sleeping. I always prefer to get up early morning and take a walk till pantry car to get my morning tea and to smoke too (mostly pantry boys are very friendly and they give you a safe space in pantry to sit and smoke peacefully while you sip your tea.

3. Dakota

Dakota New Member

That is excellent advice. I had no idea I would need a lock. I thought the train would store my bags for me. I think it is important when I'm sleeping to have a way to hide all my important papers and money. I'll need to look for a safe way to do this. Travel bag or small hand bags can be easily taken when I'm asleep.

4. paudu

paudu Member

This is interesting to know! I don't think I'll be sleeping on a train, but the main reason for my train travel will be for shopping expeditions. I had planned on carrying my saris and jewelry and other purchases back on the train with me. Maybe that is not a good idea.

5. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Thank for the great tip. I'll make sure I bring a lock with me if I plan on traveling by train. I was thinking of just using the train in the general area to get from one location to another. I haven't yet decided if I want to take the train to another city and stay there for a few days or not.

6. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

If you're carrying heavy luggage, the safest place to put them is under the lower berth. As @bholaenath said, at least converse a bit with your cabin mates. That creates a bond between you and them and that way everyone cooperates and watches the other's luggage. For important documents and stuff like credit cards and the like, put them in a light backpack, lock them up and use the backpack as a pillow. That is the safest place for them to be.

Admin and Chahal like this.
  7. drjohnfly23

drjohnfly23 New Member

Thanks for your advises!

8. Jaynee

Jaynee New Member

You could always buy a money/document belt with a large enough pouch for your vital documents and cash.Choose the type that is designed to be worn next to your body, as they are more comfortable while sleeping.

If you are buying things to secure a suitcase remember to get secure locks for the case itself, as well as the chain lock. If you have a decent memory the padlocks that don't need a key are great, as you just need to remember the code number.

9. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Always keep cash, important documents, hand held devices in a small carrying bag and always carry that bag. For your luggage, buy a chain and padlock and lock with your seat.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Always keep your luggage with you, if possible. It is better to travel light, as well. If you could get away with a single, medium sized piece of luggage, you are better of doing that. Or better yet, a backback, especially if you are going by train or out into the country. If you have more luggage, you might be able to leave the excess at a hotel if you plan to return.

11. While travelling in Indian trains people should place luggage on the upper berth of the railway. It will be a good idea to keep your luggage nearby you so that it cannot be stolen by any passenger.

12. Keep your luggage as close to you as possible. If you are the paranoid kind then make sure you get a lower berth seat so that you feel safer about the luggage is just below your seat. Carry chains with and connect the luggage to the ladder near your berth, so if anyone tries to take it out it will make a noise. Do not take any chances with this as there is chance of your belongings getting stolen.