1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whey Protein In India

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Chahal, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I have been struggling many years to find a reliable and reasonably priced whey protein supplement in India but whey protein prices are more than double of what you would pay in the US or Europe. Some brands even cost three times.

What about Indian brands?

There is an Indian brand called Muscle blaze and it sells well too but my concern is that they source milk in India from what I know (some one please correct me if I am wrong) and milk in India is known to be adulterated with things I don't want in my system at least. Another problem with Muscle blaze's whey protein is that they use aspartame in their range of whey protein and no self-respecting whey manufacturer uses it any more due to concerns that in heavy doses it causes various health problems.

There is another brand that is manufactured in India that I know of but again the quality is questionable so I don't buy that one either.

Problem with these Indian whey protein manufacturers is that their prices aren't much different from what products from US or Europe cost and I myself find imported products more trustworthy.

What do we do then?

I don't know about you but this is what I do :

While I live in India, I keep going to London every year or so and I buy my whey from myprotein.com and bring it to India in my checked luggage and never had to pay any customs duty either. Whey protein is not the only thing I get from there, I also buy my Omega 3 soft gels from myprotein.com and BCAA 4:1:1 and Creatine powder. I have been using their products for a long time now and never had a problem. I also use their Alpha men vitamin tablets when my diet isn't going very well to supplement my vitamins and minerals intake.

Myprotein.com's prices are one of the lowest I have ever seen and their products are one of the best, yes better then ON and some other known brands as per labdor's lab results. Myprotein also sells unflavored whey protein powder if you aren't bothered about the taste and it costs a lot less.

Myprotein.com is not the only company where you can buy these sports supplements, There are others like theproteinworks.com and bulkpowders.co.uk . I do not order anything for delivery to my India address, I order my stuff while I am in the UK and bring it back with me. Last month I bought back 15Kilos of Whey , 2 Kilos each or creatine and BCAA powder, 2000 soft gels of Omega 3 and Alpha men 240 tablets. I go on Etihad airways as they are one of the airlines that is cheap and also allow two checked in bags of 23Kg each that is 46 Kilos + hand luggage. That is a lot of saving and peace of mind that what I would be using is good quality. All this will last me more than a year.

There are other options if going to UK or North America is not an option, I won't go there just for getting whey protein if I didn't have other stuff to do there. If you want to buy supplements from myprotein they do deliver in India but you would have to pay some 35% customs duty when it arrives.

If you are into international brands like ON and Muscletech (even though myprotein is cheaper and same quality if not better) then you could order online from iherb or luckyvitamins websites. Google it.

I also bring neocell collagen tablets from the UK and I normally buy those from Amazon. They cost 2.5 times here in India as compared to what I pay on Amazon prime in UK.

I hope this helps some of you who are looking for information. If you have questions please fire away and I will try my best to help you with whatever information you need.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

This is interesting. Whey should be a byproduct of a cheesemaking industry. I don't think India makes much cheese, so they don't make much whey. But have you tried making whey on your own? I don't know what milk costs, but would think it is possible to find low cost milk from a local farm. It is a simple process to extract the whey, and might then be a cheaper alternative.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It would work out a lot more costly if you are not selling the cheese. Whey protein powders cost less because they are a by product, if I try making it myself I won't have the benefit of selling peptides and cheese that would come out of the whole process.