1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wi-fi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Paul, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Paul

Paul New Member

This may be a silly question, but I would like to ask: are there a lot of wi-fi spots in India where I could get connected on my phone? If yes, how is the connection?

2. Jackie

Jackie Member

I'm not sure about this, Paul. It's a good question, though. I assumed there would be but now that you bring it up I'm not sure. There are wi-fi spots everywhere in America but every country is different.

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

In the cities like Delhi and Mumbai, you will get wifi here there every where, especially when you are in restaurant, hotels and coffee shops. The rural India is very backward and undeveloped.

4. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

I'm pretty sure that India is better adapted now than before when it comes to Wi-Fi. Its become a global movement and a lot of the places before that never had it now has it made possible by their government recognizing the benefits of having Wi-Fi. If not you can look into getting a personal hotspot.

5. Chanterelle

Chanterelle New Member

If I was in a cafe I'd gladly pay a small charge for secure WiFi. I don't know a lot about how that kind of thing works but I never feel comfortable using unsecured Internet connections.

6. RBean

RBean New Member

I would guess that the hotels in the city offer WiFi as they would in other countries. No doubt that would be one of the important perks that hotels would need to attract visitors and tourists. It may not be available in the little villages and rural areas but you shouldn't need to connect to the world while touring these areas.

7. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

This is a good question. I forgot to ask this yesterday, so I'm glad it came up. I use Google Phone and Voice Over IP (VOIP) a lot whenever I travel as an alternative to have to worrying about my phone and different sim cards. Usually before I go, I set my phone to forward to the Google Voice number to still receive calls and messages, but would definitely need wifi in India to use that service and answer or return calls. Good to know. Thanks!

8. johnstatler14

johnstatler14 New Member

In the big cities like Mumbai, or Delhi, you'll get great Wi-Fi coverage; generally places with a lot of tourism will happily serve Wi-Fi. More rural places, of course, won't have nearly as much, if any, Wi-Fi coverage. Stay in the cities and you should be fine.

hellotraveler likes this.
  9. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It is better to get a local sim card and use the 3g connection instead of looking for WiFi. Mobile internet is cheap in India and the whole country has 3g from one operator or the other. Get a MTNL prepaid sim card and it would work across the country on BSNL network. BSNL works even in the deepest of villages. If you plan to stay mostly in urban areas then get Airtel or Vodafone 3g and you will be fine.

hellotraveler likes this.