1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yeti Sightings

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Polaroid, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

I was planning my trip to India but wanted to know whether a Yeti has been seen by anyone yet or is it just a myth? I have been reading stories about the Yeti for ages and I am very curious to know this.

2. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Well, I think it's just a myth, a yarn spun by the locals who wanted to create an atmosphere of suspense. Or maybe someone did see something that looked like a strange animal that he did not recognize and then started the story about the Yeti. No one has proof that it exists.

3. Daphne

Daphne New Member

As far as I know, Yetis are a myth and they don't exist in real life. However, it would be really interesting if they actually existed as I have always been intrigued by them.

4. Dina

Dina New Member

The stories that go around on the internet about Yetis are truly fascinating. I do believe one of the above posts that it must have been started by the locals who wanted more publicity for their region. In any case, we're yet to see one yet even with camera traps being installed in the region.

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

stories of yeti are similar to the stories of Big foot. Some people believe that they actually exist where as some believe that they are mythic creatures and all the news about yeti/bog foot sightings arr hoax.

6. Paul

Paul New Member

Stories about Yetis and Big Foot have always fascinated me since I was a child. It would be really cool if they actually existed! I wonder what they would be like :)

7. JoJo

JoJo New Member

Yetis are the stuff good ghost stories are made of. It's good to know there are such myths out there. It makes traveling suspenseful to some degree. Gives it an air of the unknown.

8. Rita P

Rita P New Member

I read the news recently of Steve Berry, a British mountaineer,finding footprints in the snow while trekking in the Himalayas. What is puzzling is that they belong to a two legged animal and are not the familiar footprints of a four legged one. It could only be a Yeti's footprints they say; and apparently the sightings have increased in the last few years.

9. Salman

Salman New Member

Wow, that is really exciting news! I have been hearing stories about the Yeti since I was a kid and now I guess I will get a chance to see one, at least in photographs. It is not too difficult to capture an image of any animal with the help of the latest technology including sophisticated camera traps.

10. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

Camera traps are great because they can take pictures in the darkness of the night as well. That means any animal passing the camera at any time can be photographed. I have seen some camera trap images and they are awesome for capturing the images of highly elusive animals.

11. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok New Member

I think a Yeti is in the same camp as Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster... a myth, but great for tourism! Also the web is great for building on rumours and people seem to believe anything on a web 'news' site is valuable.

12. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

Stories of Yeti and Big foot have fascinated the world over. If people are claiming to have seen them, their must be more of them than we realize. Yeti and Big Foot would be like cousins. It's not just in the United States that these creatures were spotted. There had been in various Asian countries as well. If they're not real, what are people have been seeing all these years? Both creatures have to be of massive size, right? Could they just be regular people in disguise?

13. Destiny

Destiny Member

I'm a little confused on if you're seriously asking if the yetu us real or not? Or if there are areas in India with reported Yeti sitings.

If you want to go to an area with high reported yet sightings, you'd probably be better off in the Himalayan mountains. That's where the most Yeti sightings are.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

That's pretty cool though, areas where they have these "sightings" have added revenue because of the increased tourism in the area. Me personally I never believed in stuff like Lochness Monster or Yeti, or even urban legends like the Chupacabra (?), but if it gives a small town a bit of business with their local hot spots, I don't see why it's such a terrible thing to maybe use it up a little bit.

15. ladydaydream

ladydaydream New Member

As far as I know, there haven't been any Yeti sightings in India as of yet. Sad, because I do love cryptid mythology! As Destiny said, you'd probably be better off researching sightings in the Himalayan mountains, where there would be many more sightings of yetis. As to their veracity, that is certainly up to you ;)

16. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

Yetis are mythical creatures. There are no Yetis in India, or anywhere else in the World for that matter. Please do not obsess over fictional creatures too much if you do go to India one day, you will miss out on so many real and unbelievably beautiful, strange and exciting things! To say nothing of the real-life flora and fauna that one can see all over India.

17. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Polaroid! Welcome to the forum!

India itself has its own share of Yeti sightings.

The first story that comes to my mind is about Peter Byrne. He was a British soldier for the World War. He was just about to go home but together with his friend, Peter Saunders, they ventured into Darjeeling for a research project about the Yeti. He vowed to come back to the country for more research about the subject. In 1947 and the following 5 years, he served in a tea estate. During these five years, he ventured into two expeditions to the Himalayas.

It was only in an expedition in 1957 that he was able to find Yeti footprints in the Himalayas. He found this in the Sola Khumbu region in Nepal, bordering India. From then on, he has ventured into countless expeditions in Nepal and even in California. Until now though, there has been no solid evidence obtained by Peter or his co-expeditioners that can persuade the scientists about the existence of the Yeti.

Another one would have to be BH Hodgson's Yeti report. This one's older in the year of 1832. It wasn't like a study or an expedition. In fact, the mention of the supposed "mountain ape" is purely anecdotal. Supposed to be, the British explorer's men encountered an orangutan-like creature in Bengal.

More recent expeditions have also come up, like in 2009. There's this version of the Yeti in Sikkim called the Bon Manchi. Several explorers with the likes of Rabin Banerjee and Rajeev Ranjan trekked the Himalayas to find this elusive Bon Manchi. There's this pass in Sikkim called the Yeti Pass or the Mige La Pass. Here, they have found a strange footprint near the Kishong Lake area.

Then in the Garo Hills of Northeast India, there's this other version of the Yeti called the Mande Barung. Like with other Yeti descriptions, the Mande Barung is supposed to be hairy as well, around 10 feet tall and weighs around 600 pounds. In 2002, James Marak reported a sighting of a Yeti-like animal. Footprints as large as 15 inches were even found in the area.

So there you go... All the stories linked to Yeti sightings in India. Up to now, there's no accurate evidence to prove these stories. But like they say, no evidence isn't an evidence in itself. So it's up to you if you'd believe in these stories. You'd have to admit though, it adds some sort of mystery to these places.

I hope this helps!

18. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

There has never been a real yeti yet, either documented or otherwise. I have seen photos which photographers claim are footsteps of the unseen creature. I have also seen the creature in drawings and I usually wonder why there are no live photos.

19. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

While there are reports of Yeti sightings there's never been any proof to show that Yetis are real. I've read stories of people claiming they saw Yeti footprints in the snow on the Himalayas but I've never believed them tales. Who knows, maybe you may be lucky enough to see a Yeti if you visit some of the places they've been seen.

20. vkar

vkar Member

I have come across so many stories about Yeti sightings in the Himalayas, but no proof whatsoever of the same. There are tons of fake pictures (usually of huge footprints in the snow) but most can be identified as fake at the first look. I think, it is just a myth and nothing more, or else we would have seen some concrete proof in all these years. It's just stories people like to tell.

21. calicer1996

calicer1996 New Member

I see what I believe. With the technology we have, yeti would have been found by now. Maybe it's super intelligent which I don't believe personally. It's chances of existence are negligible. Just an old tale.

22. djtravels

djtravels Member

Who knows :) I mean there are plenty of strange creatures in the himalayas. Maybe there is a species of ape that exists there. Or maybe the monks got a little too high one day and saw things. The story started with Tibetan Monks and then it spread quickly thanks to our basic need for sensationalism.
    Anyways, if you see one, say hi from me as well.