1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoga and meditation for solo traveller

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by sync2020, Jan 1, 2015.

1. sync2020

sync2020 New Member

Hello

I am looking for some tips and suggestions:
    I am planning a trip to India between Feb and March, is it the best time to visit India? And during this trip I would like to learn some meditation and yoga. I will be travelling alone on my own and I am a 25 yo female from Arizona - will I have any trouble in travelling alone, I am getting very mixed reactions from my friends who have been to India.

I will really appreciate if you can suggest me some nice Asharams too where I can live and learn yoga too. I want to make it somewhere in North India.

Thanks

2. GauravSeth

GauravSeth New Member

Haridwar is the best place for you to learn yoga and there are plenty of ashrams there. February March is a good time, but for some perfect weather I would suggest March April time. Although it is not entirely safe for a girl to travel on her own in India, but it is possible. Just dont travel to lone places yourself, or go out late at night.

Suresh likes this.

3. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

There is a thread titled "Solo Female Travel?" in Travel Advice section. Just check this to have some tips about solo traveling. There is nothing dangerous about India in particular. You need to take some precautions like avoid traveling at night. Always keep a route map of the city you intend to visit. With some precautions you can travel without any issues in India.

Clara and Alexandoy like this.
  4. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

There's no trouble you'll be fine. India is a safe place, people are really nice and you'll make lots of friends. I'll leave you this link Ashrams in India, Yoga and Meditation Resources in India so you can check and contact the asharams directly. I've heard a lot of good comments of Haridwar, a friend of mine stayed there for almost a year. It's a peaceful place and the accommodations are comfortable and clean. The food is vegetarian, so if you're not you might find that difficult. But, you'll learn a lot and you'll have a good time. Good that you're doing this.

Alexandoy likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad New Member

India is definitely the place to be for learning about yoga! Be sure to bring appropriate clothing - you will want to make sure you cover your shoulders and down to your knees - especially while at a yoga class. Regarding a live-in yoga experience, there are lots of options in Dehradun. You'll want to be sure the program you are joining is "Westerner-Friendly" too.

Have you tried yoga before at all? If not, you might find it is more physically demanding than you expect. It might be a good idea to take a couple of classes locally, just so that you have a little bit of practice before travelling.

As others have said, take a look at the Solo Female Travel thread for some extra tips. You don't need to be paranoid, just be aware of your surroundings and your interactions with them.

Chahal likes this.
  6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I am not a yoga fancier but this thread looks interesting particularly with the comments giving assurance that a female traveler is safe. I always travel with my wife and we have not encountered any security issues. It's funny though because we are more concerned with safety and security when we are traveling in the provinces here in our own country than in a foreign country. Even in Thailand, we didn't have scary moments with strangers or scammers. I'm glad to know that India is like those countries we have visited, safe and hospitable.

7. Sramana

Sramana Member

You could check out the Sivananda ashrams. Here is the link to one in Uttarkashi. There is a lot of information about what to bring, what to expect, how to dress etc.

8. KAREN MARTIN

KAREN MARTIN New Member

Yoga and meditation for solo travelers is an excellent way to put you at ease before a major trip or just a leisure trip and it’s most definitely a stress reliever! Yoga and meditation is a good calming relaxer to help healthy blood flows and body movements by having less tension on the brain or body whether you are in India. Yoga back in the day was more of a way of teaching; it was just a great way of life. Meditation back in the day was good for pregnancies, well and healthiness, old age as well as diseases and illnesses! Both yoga and meditation play a major role in the human mind, body and soul!

9. turtledove

turtledove Member

India is definitely a great place to visit, and many yoga and meditation ashrams are open to anybody. One ashram I have heard particularly good things about is the 'Art of Living' ashram, near Bangalore. I have a few friends who have been there, and they were really relaxed and more comfortable with themselves by the end of their time there. Another ashram I've been recommended is the Sree Aurobindo Ashram, a little off Chennai in Tamil Nadu. If you're looking for a more vibrant and interactive ashram, this one may be best for you.

If you're only looking at northern Indian ashrams though, the Sivananta Yoga Vedanta Centre in Uttarkashi sounds like a good idea. The only thing about it for you is that it's only open from April - November for visitors, but if you're debating the time of your visit, it may be well worth putting the trip one month forward to visit this ashram.

10. Omondieve

Omondieve New Member

This post is very helpful to me since I'm also considering taking a trip to India for Yoga and meditation. I have been practicing Yoga for about one year but after reading Elizabeth Gilbert's book "Eat, Pray, Love" I'm really motivated to take it a step further and get into meditation.
    Yoga has helped in strengthening my body and I'm now hoping to strengthen my mind and calm it so I can be able to deal better with stressful situations. All the best in your trip!

11. rajeevdesai

rajeevdesai New Member

Look for AYUSH centers. They are Ministry of Health undertakings for healthcare, and the departments include Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy. Yoga is the department you should look for. Recently I was getting Ayurveda treatment for some ailment, and I was benefited by the Ayurvedic medicines. During that time I was introduced to the Yoga section also.

The Yoga section provides free Yoga related education to everyone. Especially to note, the Yoga instructors gave me very specific yoga exercises which were safe for me in my ailing condition. They proved very beneficial too. So, they can guide you very specifically as you are a traveler. For example, some of the Yoga exercises and the breathing techniques along with the meditation techniques, you will feel very energetic throughout the day, will feel happier, and the Yoga exercises will keep your body and organs, and your mind in good shape throughout your traveling. Of course, those exercises, meditation procedures, breathing techniques, and diet information will be very beneficial throughout your life time.

There are of course other Yoga centers spread throughout the region but AYUSH is more valuable in the sense that it is a government section for health, and you will get free advice and even demonstration and healthcare there. It's worth visiting the AYUSH center and having a chat with the doctors and Yoga instructors there.

12. Isafab

Isafab New Member

I'm in a similar situation but I haven't decided which part of India I want to go to. Haridwar sounds like a beautiful place so I might look into the ashrams there.

13. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Osho Commune International is the best place for foreigners to learn and practice meditation. The meditation center is in Pune,which is very close to Mumbai. For Yoga, you can find many ashrams in Haridwar and Uttarakhanda.

14. swalia

swalia Guest

It's ok to travel alone but keep a few things in mind. Don't be out till late at night. Dress properly especially when you are in small towns or villages. And don't trust strangers who try to be too friendly.
    Rishikesh is the best place if you are interested in yoga and meditation. It is the place of the yogis. The scenic beauty and meditating at the bank of holy Ganges is quite an experience.

15. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Travelling to India alone or with family and friends is always safe at any part of the year whether you are male or female. And about Yoga One can get best yoga and meditation training can be found in any part of India, but haridwar is the best place to have it.